• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Is it safe to have anesthetic every week four weeks in a row in dentist office?

N

nadru

It is obviously that anaesthetic locally is safe if it is done one time per year. However, if I need to fix a few teeth and I go to a doctor every 5-7 days and every time I have local anesthetic... is this safe? I need to make more visits, so it will be more than that...

Thank you
Nadru

Re: Is it safe to have anesthetic every week four weeks in a row in dentist office?

It is obviously that anestheic locally is safe if it is done one time per year. However, if I need to fix a few teeth and I go to a doctor every 5-7 days and every time I have local anesthetic... is this safe? I need to make more visits, so it will be more than that...

Hi Nadru

I had 6 root canals last year which were done over 18 appointments. About 10 of those appointments were consecutive weeks (every week), with the rest being every 2 weeks. At each appointment I had several local anaesthetic injections and I didn't experience any problems at all, so I'm sure you will be fine.

If you are still worried, you could ask your dentist as I'm sure they would be happy to explain things to you.

Hope this helps. :)

Re: Is it safe to have anesthetic every week four weeks in a row in dentist office?

I can only speak from experience, too. But over the past 4 or 5 weeks I was at the dentist once a week and had local anaesthetic injections at each appointment. I would assume that it is safe. I had no negative side effects or anything of that nature.

This is only my second post. I wish to know if aesthetic that the dentist gives is of different strengths because I had a problem yesterday where a tooth did not numb properly and I had two lots of injections and that has never happened before and because the numbing was difficult to do then I could not have the treatment I was originally booked in for.

Also my dentist would not give me a third lot of injection as I presume it would be dangerous. However having said that, the injections he gave me were very slow acting and took longer than average to numb so he waited the usual amount of time and tried to do what he had wanted to do and gave up. Then because it took longer than average to fully numb, as I left the surgery it was at full numbness so if the dentist had been more patient and waited longer before trying to do what I had been booked in to do, then the job would have got done, instead of trying an alternative way and hoping for the best that the alternative treatment will wok

This is only my second post. I wish to know if aesthetic that the dentist gives is of different strengths because I had a problem yesterday where a tooth did not numb properly and I had two lots of injections and that has never happened before and because the numbing was difficult to do then I could not have the treatment I was originally booked in for.

Also my dentist would not give me a third lot of injection as I presume it would be dangerous. However having said that, the injections he gave me were very slow acting and took longer than average to numb so he waited the usual amount of time and tried to do what he had wanted to do and gave up. Then because it took longer than average to fully numb, as I left the surgery it was at full numbness so if the dentist had been more patient and waited longer before trying to do what I had been booked in to do, then the job would have got done, instead of trying an alternative way and hoping for the best that the alternative treatment will wok

This is seriously weird. The maximum dose for LA is something like 11 cartridges. It does come in different dose sizes and the standard UK ones are larger than the USA ones apparently but I'd be surprised if 2 were a maximum. If a root canal were appropriate it makes no sense other than as a temporary measure to abandon that course of treatment for ever. Some brands are stronger and more longer-lasting than others.

Lowdown on LA here: https://www.dentalfearcentral.org/fears/allergy-to-local-anaesthetic/

the injections he gave me were very slow acting and took longer than average to numb so he waited the usual amount of time and tried to do what he had wanted to do and gave up. Then because it took longer than average to fully numb, as I left the surgery it was at full numbness so if the dentist had been more patient and waited longer before trying to do what I had been booked in to do, then the job would have got done, instead of trying an alternative way and hoping for the best that the alternative treatment will wok

Exactly so why are you staying with this dentist?

Back