• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Is it true that you're REQUIRED to get a local anesthetic when getting a scaling and rooting?

thedogdemon

thedogdemon

Is it true that you're REQUIRED to get a local anesthetic when getting a scaling and rooting?

I have been googling and searching, and a few dental "resources" said you do. I got a few deep cleanings in the past as a teenager, and never once had to be shot in the gum area/gumline that I recall. If they did, they did a damn good job at hiding it from me haha.

I am a bit nervous of the idea of a needle going in my mouth, period. Some sites seem to say yeah cause it's not a reg cleaning treatment and it could "hurt a bit".

Re: Is it true that you're REQUIRED to get a local anesthetic when getting a scaling and rooting?

I am not sure if there are any legal requeriments about this. Your dentist / hygienist is in the first place obliged to inform you about how a procedure is done and needs your consent for any treatment so paying attention to your wishes, fears and needs might be a big part of it.
It sounds like the needle is the part that scares you, so it might be a good idea to talk to your hygienist about this and ask about your options. They might for example use a numbing gel instead of a needle.
By the way, numbing can be entirely painless, there are a lot of techniques to make it comfortable and dental shots are definitely much more comfortable than any other ones. I would prefer to get numbed for a dental procedure rather than having a blood test.

Re: Is it true that you're REQUIRED to get a local anesthetic when getting a scaling and rooting?

Thedogdemon,

I think Enarete said it so well about them needing to pay attentin to your needs and desires for treatment and how its done!, but also adding maybe they could do it with topical if , you wouldn't want or couldn't do the needle for some reason.. ? I know my dentist I don't even know he's given me a needle and says he is done. its pretty amazing..

I am not sure if there are any legal requeriments about this. Your dentist / hygienist is in the first place obliged to inform you about how a procedure is done and needs your consent for any treatment so paying attention to your wishes, fears and needs might be a big part of it.
It sounds like the needle is the part that scares you, so it might be a good idea to talk to your hygienist about this and ask about your options. They might for example use a numbing gel instead of a needle.
By the way, numbing can be entirely painless, there are a lot of techniques to make it comfortable and dental shots are definitely much more comfortable than any other ones. I would prefer to get numbed for a dental procedure rather than having a blood test.

I'm not gonna scream and kick if they had to do this. I'd be NERVOUS as hell but....not like super scared like I had been in the past. I'll have to wait and see what the dentist/hygienist says though.

I think I recall getting a topical done as the person who performed the deep clean kept asking if I needed it and I said yes sooner or later. Again, this was years ago by now. If I ever got a shot before in the gum area or anywhere else within my mouth I never had felt it even back then.

Thank you

It's definitely not required. It is based on the patient. Many patients require it - but if you would rather deal with the scaling without it, that is perfectly possible. Root planing can be quite painful, and that is why local is offered as a default. But treatments should reflect the patient's needs. So talk to your dentist/hygienist and don't be afraid to ask questions! :)

Local injections can be pain-free if the dentist has a good technique - and most do. The most you will usually feel is a sting in the injection site, and that's the end of it. You also cannot see the needle from your vantage point.

It's definitely not required. It is based on the patient. Many patients require it - but if you would rather deal with the scaling without it, that is perfectly possible. Root planing can be quite painful, and that is why local is offered as a default. But treatments should reflect the patient's needs. So talk to your dentist/hygienist and don't be afraid to ask questions! :)

Local injections can be pain-free if the dentist has a good technique - and most do. The most you will usually feel is a sting in the injection site, and that's the end of it. You also cannot see the needle from your vantage point.

I really feel like I wanna get the topical and the shot, but then idk if they can do the full mouth debridement then since numbness on both sides. :p It does kinda suck overtime with a deep clean cause ya know your teeth and gums are likely gonna bleed. OK, I was just asking. I may brave it out and allow the dentist/hygienist to do the numbing and topica.

Thanks again for your help.

Back