• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Is IV sedation helpful?

T

trooper22

Former Member
Is IV sedation helpful, yes or no? What happens during IV sedation? Will IV sedation hurt...?

is iv sedation helpful yes or no what happens during iv sedation will iv sedation hurt.................?

Check this link for an article that has a load of information about sedation.

Short answers to your questions. IV sedation can be helpful, depends on the situation. It's nice because you won't be aware of what's going on during the surgery. Being hooked up to the IV doesn't hurt. It feels a bit like a pinprick like other shots.

Hi,

I am not a fan of sedation. Not only because of its health and economic disadvantages but mainly because it does not deal with the anxiety. It allows to have some dental work done but the anxiety stays and even might worsen. Given the fact that we all need to go to the dentist every few months (also dentists) for prevention and maintenance, such a frequent sedation is not an option.
I believe it should be used only in extreme cases as a last resort.

Hi,

I am not a fan of sedation. Not only because of its health and economic disadvantages but mainly because it does not deal with the anxiety. It allows to have Somme dental work done but the anxiety stays and even might worsen. Given the fact that we all need to go to the dentist every few months (also dentists) for prevention and maintenance, such a frequent sedation is not optional.
I believe it should be used only in extreme cases as a last resort.

I'm in partial agreement on this one. Dr. Daniel's concern is to get beyond the fear and most all dentists who offer IV sedation will go that route. If you rely on the drugs, then you haven't achieved a benefit in fear reduction.

I offer IV sedation and find it very helpful but I don't push its use. Many many times I see a patient who has extensive needs and fears. I will sedate them for one appointment and accomplish several appointments worth of dental treatment and I also get a better sense of them even though they are sedated. The vast majority of the time I am then able to bring them back and treat the other less invasive problems without sedation. The patient also knows that IV sedation is still available and that I know how to get them numb. So the IV sedation becomes their security that they don't use in the future.

Now I will say I will talk to the patients at the end of their sedation appointment and follow it up with a phone call preparing them for future appointments.

Back