• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

It Probably Won't be Bad, Right?

B

BeachGirl787

So, after I pretty much faced my fears a few months ago, I am now due back for a cleaning. A cleaning shouldn't be terrible, right? I have already had a check up and a procedure done, so I can probably handle this? I have been looking up videos of cleanings to familiarize myself so I will not be so anxious when I go this Wednesday. As always, I'm anxious that it will hurt. I just really hope I will be able to handle the more scary looking tools (especially the tool that cleans and sprays water). Luckily I have an excellent dentist, so hopefully the hygienist will be equally as great.
One more question: when do wisdom teeth come in? Does everyone need them taken out?? I don't think I have gotten them yet, thank God.
Thank you so much.
-Beachgirl

You’re going to make it.

I encourage you to take it one visit at a time.

Keep us posted. You’ll do great.

Yes, cleaning should be easier on you. Don’t hesitate to tell them if you feel anything more than expected. A well done cleaning shouldn’t hurt at all. Obviously if you have some sensitivity some spots might hurt a tad more.

Beachgirl,

First off , I'm so glad you have an excellent dentist , and a cleaning on the horizon, that is great and I do totally a great dentist might be a sign of a great hygenist , :thumbsup::thumbsup::clover: Also the real life cleanings are usually a lot less scary than the youtube and googled cleanings online :) I think some people last quite some time with their wisdom teach but if they are ever a bother you can discuss it with your dentist at the time. Wishing you the best for your cleaning.. let us know how it goes.

I nearly cried when I went for my deep clean last week. I hadn’t slept in days and like you had watched so many videos on the internet.
It was a breeze. She only did my bottom teeth took about 15/20 min no injections or numbing .... I was quite disappointed I had to make another appt for my top teeth ! I would have gladly stayed ! Please do not stress too much. It really is ok !!! Good luck although you won’t need it ! X

Hi,

I have made a video about fear of pain. In this video you can find many tips that might be helpful for your situation

The wisdom teeth can erupt along a wide range of ages, mostly between 17-27 years of age.

Hi Beachgirl! Yes a cleaning should be very easy and painless. The ultrasonic scaler (the one that sprays water and cleans) looks very intimidating but it’s really quite gentle. It has been a real game changer for me as it cuts down on the need for manually scraping the teeth with tools. Sometimes you may experience some sensitivity but if you have any areas that are uncomfortable be sure to let them know. If I have sore areas, I tell my dentist/hygienist ahead of time and they are sure to be careful or avoid the area until they can better assess what’s going on.

Well done!

Courage.

I got my wisdom teeth in my late teens, and I still have all 4 of them in my 30's. All my dentists have said that as long as they are not causing any problems, there's no need to remove them. There are a little difficult to clean though, which is one of the reasons I go 4x a year for professional cleanings.

My wisdom teeth started to partially erupt around age 15 but they could not come in fully as there wasn’t room for them and they were impacted. If I had allowed them to grow in, it would have seriously messed up the alignment of my other teeth and they would not have come in properly. My dad still has his wisdom teeth at 60 but they are impacted in his jaw and never erupted as there wasn’t room for them. He saw an oral surgeon many years ago after being referred by a dentist and the oral surgeon said that it would be best to leave them alone, as removing them that late in life could create long-term nerve issues. He has never had problems from the wisdom teeth being there. It’s a different case for everyone.

One thing about wisdom teeth that haven't been said: some people do not have wisdom teeth at all (not even hidden in the bone) and with some people they just do not erupt. And some people even have the wisdom teeth happily erupted and all is well and they just had no idea that it's wisdom teeth :)

Back