• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

IV Sedation dentistry experiences??

  • Thread starter Thread starter izzyb89
  • Start date Start date
I

izzyb89

Junior member
Joined
Nov 2, 2009
Messages
2
Hi everyone, im new here, ill just give u a backstory...
I am 21 years old, british but living in Asia, i have always had a problem with the dentist, Ive always been particularly afraid of the dental explorer, I ahve this horrific fear that when their scraping my tooth with it that its going to dig through into the pulp and hit the nerve, obviously causing a huge amount of pain. I dont know why this is. I cry and have a massive panic attack and cant breath as soonas that thing is anywhere near my mouth, this fear is now starting to expand into other areas of the dental experience.
My teeth are not in a horrific condition - yet, I ahve had to have some major fillings in the past, aged about 13 and had to have a tooth out last year due to pain and decay - i never thought that pain could exist. the trauma of being laughed at by dentists over the years has compounded the prioblem.
Basically...I know that I ahve alot of fillings that need doing, and i think one more is gonna have to go...I want to just ahev sedation and be done with it. What is anybodies experience of iv concious sedation? Did it help? What was it like? How much work can you get done in one session?I really want a lovely smile and I want them whitened, something I cant do while decay is present. I want to fix this before it gets out of control...

thank you all so much

xoxoxox
 
Hello Izzy welcome [smiley=welcome.gif] I'm Happy to have you share with us here.

yes the panic can be quite massive where you IMAGINE that you will experience pain when they are cleaning. but the truth is that the explorer or scaler has NO WAY of digging through to the pulp and hitting the nerve. this is not you talking, this is the anxiety/ panic talking. the gums may be sensitive to the touch, but the instrument is NOT able to touch the pulp when they are cleaning or checking your teeth. knowing the truth now, take a deep breath and rest assured that you will be ok when they are looking and examining your teeth.

a KEY step in your progress is to go for a visit to a dentist and just talk to them. nothing else. share with them your fears, anxieties, panic. and evaluate if you feel that they understand you. if you don't feel that they understand your fears, go interview another dentist. and see how you feel talking with them. by finding a dentist who is caring and compassionate, you'll feel safer and more comfortable to get treatment done. remember that you DESERVE to have a dentist who treats you the way you want to be treated. you deserve to be treated with kindness and respect and caring. and you can begin to assess this by setting up appointments to "meet the dentist" and tour the office.

with sedation dentistry a lot can be accomplished in one or two appointments. but I still believe that THE MOST important aspect whether you do sedation or not is to have a GOOD relationship with your dentist. it all starts with trusting your vulnerable self with a caring dentist. Trust your gut when 'interviewing' the dentist. YOU are the one who decides if this dentist feels RIGHT for you or not.

you WILL have a lovely smile, white teeth and healthy teeth and gums. I can hear it in your post that you are ready to step forward with courage to have the lovely smile that you want and deserve. take the first step. we are here with you along the way!

hip hip hoppity hooray!!!!!!
Dr. Shirley
 
Back
Top