• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Sedation Dentistry?

  • Thread starter Thread starter molly19
  • Start date Start date
M

molly19

Junior member
Joined
Jul 30, 2009
Messages
3
Recently went to dentist for a few procedures. First I went in twice for periodontal treatment. Both times I was given something to numb me. The first time everything was fine. The 2nd time it seemed like I never really got numb and then at the end of the procedure all of a sudden my tongue got numb. I then went in to get a filling and a crown. The dentist injected me with septocaine. Immediately I felt like my throat was closed off and had pain in the area; but I ignored it and tried to calm myself. The dentist started his procedure and soon into the drilling the assistant noticed that I was getting blotchy on my chest. I then mentioned the throat issue and the dentist had me drink some water; which I could not. The procedures continued with me getting up frequently to clear my throat since I still couldn't swallow. Also I never did get completely numb; the dentist was surprised I was still feeling the drilling even though he had given me more septocaine. Once finished the dentist gave me benadryl which made my throat feel normal. About 10 minutes later the assistants noticed that my eye was blood shot and was not following properly.
I have heard that the eye issue was probably from the dentist injecting a nerve that went to my eye. Also I am being told that the throat closing was probably just a sensitivity to the epinephrine in the septocaine or an issue with how I was injected (both seem odd to me since the benedryl helped; but even the allergist thinks so).
So my question is what do I do now? I was not nervous about going to the dentist in the past but now I am. Since I had some issues with the injections is that a sign that I should go to a new dentist? Since I never got completely numb and the numbing agents without epinephrine do not last as long should I go to sedation denistry? If I did do sedation dentistry do they still use a numbing agent? I am obviously nervous about getting any numbing done again. I know that I can get a numbing agent without epinephrine, but what if the reaction wasn't to the epinephrine? Any advice is greatly appreciated. I know the health of my mouth is important, but since this experience I am so nervous I just want to get dentures.
 
Hi Molly,
The decision whether or not to go for sedation dentistry is a personal one. Only you can really know what works best for you. Many chose this method for a variety of reasons. I can tell you that, for me, sedation was very effective. It was truly the only way to get beyond my level of terror when I first started with my dentist. Over time, as my trust developed, I was able to decrease the sedatives.
I had 3 teeth extracted under IV sedation with an oral surgeon and yes, he did use a generous amount of LA. As I have come to understand it, sedatives are not painkillers so LA is needed for numbing.
Hope this helps a bit:)
 
If your allergist says you're allergic to epi, I suggest you get your money back, seeing as your body makes copious amounts of the stuff and you're clearly not dead yet... :)

It sounds to me as though both injections were slightly off target, hence the lack of anaesthesia in the tooth, the eye symptoms and the "closing off" feeling in your throat.

Some sedation would definitely help smooth things for you in future, it makes local anaesthetic far more effective.
 
The allergist did not say I was allergic to epi, just that I was sensitive to it. I do have a heart condition and probably the epi combined with that might have made my body go a bit haywire.
I think the sedation could help with the new found fear, but... then I would be putting more drugs into my body and if I had the same reaction again then I am scared I would not be in control enough to do or say something about it. is there any way to avoid the LA? Since the dentist administered injections that were inaccurate; does that mean I should find someone else?
 
Sedation usually leaves you with plenty of control and able to communicate, there are various options available which I think "Let's Connect" has as FAQs on here...

Anybody can have a bad day and miss with an injection or two, I'd be a bit more bothered that they didn't seem to know s) that they'd done it and b) what to do about it :)
 
Back
Top