• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

IV Sedation fear

B

BlueLuna

Hi! For the first time, I will be receiving IV Sedation. Versed, Fentyl, Benadryl. My dentist and I had a difficult time keeping my tongue out of the way during my last visit for a temporary (?) filling after a root canal on #30 lower right molar. I'm very worried that my tongue will still have a mind of it's own and interfere with the seating of the temporary crown. I'm also afraid the sedation will make me goofy and damage my memory. Also, why can't the permanent crown be put on now? My dentist said he doesn't want me sedated when he seats the permanent crown which I'm worried that my tongue will fight us if I'm not sedated. My tongue did fine during the root canal because they had a dam over it. I was able to feel my tongue against the dam and remained calm until they took off the dam and tried to get the x-ray device back in my mouth to make sure he got all of the root I guess. I sat up and told the nurse I couldn't do it. I thought I was going to bolt. She talked me through it and he was able to finish. Any advice or insight you can offer, l will appreciate. My husband is supporting me and will be there for my sedation appointment.

I'm not 100% sure what you're asking... when you're sedated your tongue will be easier to manage, you'll also be much less likely to gag under IV.

You can't have the permanent crown fitted I assume because it hasn't been made yet, they'll be making the impressions etc during the IV treatment.

Hope this covers what you want to know, but you should be discussing this with your dentist, it's part of the consent process that you know what's being planned.