• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

I've had enough of my teeth now!! Tooth next to extraction site hurts when I push down on it - help!

S

StefyS

I've had enough of my teeth now!! Tooth next to extraction site hurts when I push down on it - help!

Hello Everyone,

I've had enough of my teeth now.

I had a lower first molar extracted 3 weeks ago due to an old failed root canal, a horrible bump on the gum and chronic infection and the healing period was absolutely fine and it doesn't really hurt anymore now. The dentist said that the tooth broke so some bits of tooth may make their way out eventually.

The tooth next to it, the lower 2nd molar (no work has ever been done to this tooth) has just started to feel achy when I press down on it (I know - don't press on it). It's like a sharp pain and lasts less than a second if that just for as long as i press on it. I would like to put it down to the fact that maybe the gums around the extraction are still sore. I should also mentioned I went to see a hygienist 3 days ago so she removed a lot of buildup (I hadn't been in over 10 years) so this may be it as well.

I'm going to the dentist for another extraction - upper 2nd molar so I can ask him then but I'm scared there's going to yet another issue with my teeth and I've had enough now.

If someone could please shed some light on this, that would be appreciated.

Re: I've had enough of my teeth now!! Tooth next to extraction site hurts when I push down on it - h

Hi StefyS, I don't have an answer but I'm hoping you get some, as I feel in a bit of a similar situation. I had a lower 2nd premolar taken out a week ago and still the tooth next to it (not the molar) hurts when the top teeth touch it if I am not careful when chewing. Also all the top teeth on that side ache, I don't know why but the procedure was the most horrific dental experience of my life, it took 45 mins after numbing up and the tooth came out in pieces with a bit left behind (the dentist told me). In trying to get it out, my top teeth/jaw suffered a lot with some dreadful instrument (pliers?) pushing against them, plus the dentist's hand "punching" me in the top jaw when a piece of tooth broke as he was pulling it. Anyway, like you, I am scared that there may be something going on and I am seriously too terrified of going anywhere near the dentist FOREVER! Hope someone can perhaps reassure us that all is normal???

Re: I've had enough of my teeth now!! Tooth next to extraction site hurts when I push down on it - h

Sharp pain upon pressure doesn't sound like it's because of the extracted molar. There could be a crack or a cavity in this molar. Definitely get it checked out when you next see the dentist.

Hello Nightmare,

I'm not a dentist however I think yours is fairly normal as it's only been a week. Mine were the same but they have all settled. Your experience sounds horrific so I hope your recovery is a lot better and easier.

My problematic second molar has also settled now and I don't feel any more sharp pain when I press down on it but I will mention it to my dentist when I see him this morning just in case but just like you, I don't want to go back to the dentist with a "new" problem. I still need to have 1 tooth removed (which is being done on Wednesday but I'm not looking forward to going through another extraction and healing period) and a possible 2 maybe 3 root canals so the thought of going back for another problem really fills me with dread but I just want to fix all my teeth and then hopefully, I will have no further issues once these are all done.

I have learnt my lesson though. Visits with my dentist every 6 months and with my hygienist every 3 months because I'm paranoid. It's taken me 30 years to realise how much I need to look after my teeth.

Hi StefyS,

Thanks for your thoughtful reply. I'm sorry you still have a lot of work to be done, and I hope everything is okay for you on Wednesday. You sound incredibly brave. Are you having everything done under local anaesthetic?? I just couldn't do it again. It's right what you say about leaving things for many years and then having to deal with a load of problems, but with the best will in the world it is hard to go every six months. Time goes so fast and it seems like that awful fear hardly takes a break. Actually it doesn't I guess, there is always the fear of going and/or the fear of not going! I still have two fillings to be done. He said they are very small, one so superficial he even tried to scrape the decay off. That is on the lower edge of the molar next to the extraction site and it will be a LONG TIME before anyone goes near that with a drill! The other is between my two top front teeth where I had a tiny filling about 30 years ago and he said there is a bit of decay behind the filling. This one is scaring me, sooner or later it will have to be dealt with but I just don't know how. Maybe the old filling will drop out or something and force me back to the dentist, or maybe the tooth will break OMG.

Best of luck with your treatments, hope it's all just a memory very soon. I hate teeth.

Back