• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

I've made an appointment for the first dentist visit in 20 years next Friday

T

Tome

Former Member
I've made an appointment for the first dentist visit in 20 years next Friday

... and I'm bricking it.

Just don't know anyone with bad teeth like mine, and I can't really face being told off about how bad they are. Keep on wanting not to go.

I've got to go, and I know I've got to go but don't really know how I'm going to manage it.

Re: I've made an appointment for the first dentist visit in 20 years next Friday

... and I'm bricking it.

Just don't know anyone with bad teeth like mine, and I can't really face being told off about how bad they are. Keep on wanting not to go.

I've got to go, and I know I've got to go but don't really know how I'm going to manage it.
As bad as you think your teeth are I am betting your dentist has seen worse :) Explain to your dentist, that you have dental anxiety, and please be kind in his suggestions in getting you on the road to great dental health! You made a HUGE step in making the appointment, Bravo!!! Maybe things aren't as bad as you are expecting? We ALL think the worse (I sure know I do!) but after your appointment you will be SO proud of yourself! YOU CAN DO THIS!!!!! :)

Re: I've made an appointment for the first dentist visit in 20 years next Friday

You will manage it because you know it's the right thing to do:). Well done for taking the most difficult step - actually making that appointment. When the day arrives it won't be easy, but you will get through it, I promise you. Please don't worry about the dentist judging you - he/she won't.

Wishing you all the best - hope it all goes well:)

You can't change the past so try not to focus on it. Decide now that from here on you're going to take good care of your teeth. If you're not sure how ask the dentist. You may have several teeth that need to be fixed but don't let that overwhelm you. You don't have to fix everything at once. Little by little you'll get where you want to be. Lastly, remember that if people didn't have problems with their teeth dentists wouldn't have jobs. That's what they're there for.

My teeth were really bad and I finally decided to go see a dentist. I had anxiety that kept me away. The first dentist I went to was rude and downright degradeing. Pretty much insinuated that I didn't deserve the best treatment plan until I could prove myself to him. My advice to you is simple. I am not going to lie and say there are not horrible dentists out there....BUT there are some totally AWESOME ones too! If the dentist just happens to be a horrible one who thinks its ok to downgrade you, WALK OUT! Call around and explain your fears to the receptionist who answers the phone. My receptionist was crying right along with me!! She could not believe how I was treated and assured me I would get the best care they offered. Now I have a more beautiful smile than I had before my teeth decayed! And I did it with a team who cared and understood! Don't be discouraged or anxious. Your dentist should not make you feel guilty!

Thanks, guys, for the reassurance.

DisneyMom, I sure hope that they aren't the worst teeth the dentist has seen:o but I am expecting to end up referred to a dental hospital.

BioMan, thanks for your kind words.

Arzoo, yes it's what they are there for... unfortunately I had some bad experiences with dentists in the past
so it's hard to trust that there won't be pain.

Jamana, I don't think I'd be going to the dentist at all if it wasn't for reading stories like yours. Thank you.

Thanks, guys, for the reassurance.

DisneyMom, I sure hope that they aren't the worst teeth the dentist has seen:o but I am expecting to end up referred to a dental hospital.

BioMan, thanks for your kind words.

Arzoo, yes it's what they are there for... unfortunately I had some bad experiences with dentists in the past
so it's hard to trust that there won't be pain.

Jamana, I don't think I'd be going to the dentist at all if it wasn't for reading stories like yours. Thank you.
You can definately do this! I know your teeth aren't the worse :) but we always think they are. Just by you wanting to improve any unforseen problems, speaks volumns! I let my dental anxiety keep me away from the dentist for years, but once I started taking care of some small problems, I honestly felt better, like a brick was lifted off of my shoulders. I had a couple of minor pinches from the needle (and I do mean minor) but was able to eat, smile and honestly felt better about myself. The hardest part is picking up the phone and calling ... you did that!! Kudos!!!! I am actually proud of you!!!! (typical *Mom* LOL) Again, YOU CAN DO THIS!! In the grand scheme of things, this is nothing :)

Well, I've been to the dentist, and we've set up an appointment for some of the 'easy' work on 1st August. Just some of the extractions...

You know people keep on saying 'You're not got the worst teeth your dentist has seen'... well... from the look on his face as he was leaving the room I'd say that I must be in the top ten :)

Although, not as much work as I thought there would be...

But he was very kind, and the appointment went well, and I feel like I can trust him... so, we'll see.

Back