• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Just got a partial lower denture and absolutely hate it

I

ilovewings

I just got a partial lower denture ( 3 teeth lower right back teeth). I had no idea the partial would require an acrylic partial that wraps around your lower teeth. For some reason ( now i can see it was not reasonable), I thought the denture would include only the three teeth that were missing in the back lower right side. That was not possible because the partial provides stability. so the dentist made some adjustments and put it in my mouth and I thought well, maybe i can get used to this foreign body in my mouth, and then i tried to eat with this thing in my mouth and it was awful-- i could not wait to get home and take this thing out of my mouth and i don't see myself being able to use it- it wasn't cheap and i feel like i wasted money but i cannot stand chewing with it. I don't want implants because i am afraid of having a dentist drill into my jaw to place a titanium screw in there. Very disappointed.

Ilovewings,

I totally get how this is hard to get used to.. its been about 20 yrs since I got my lower partial but.. it is odd at first and takes a while to get used to the feeling.. and hard to get used to chewing with it, its different . I do it and its okay and fine while out, though not completely optimal. When I'm at home I do remove my partial to eat when no one is around just because its far more comfortable . As far as the implants. I was a bit afraid of those as well but just got my first last year and I cannot tell at all I have a titanium screw in my body and feels as much as a regular tooth as my other crowns. Feels very natural. Anything that is new and different may take a bit getting used to both in theory and practice and well thought as well... Wishing you the best getting used to your new partial!

Ilovewings,

I totally get how this is hard to get used to.. its been about 20 yrs since I got my lower partial but.. it is odd at first and takes a while to get used to the feeling.. and hard to get used to chewing with it, its different . I do it and its okay and fine while out, though not completely optimal. When I'm at home I do remove my partial to eat when no one is around just because its far more comfortable . As far as the implants. I was a bit afraid of those as well but just got my first last year and I cannot tell at all I have a titanium screw in my body and feels as much as a regular tooth as my other crowns. Feels very natural. Anything that is new and different may take a bit getting used to both in theory and practice and well thought as well... Wishing you the best getting used to your new partial!

Thanks for your response: i am glad things have worked out for you. I don't know if i can cozy up to that Klutzy lower partial--- the missing teeth are near the back of my mouth so no one can see back there and my teeth look otherwise ok. i will have to think about what i want to do. again, thank you for your response, i really appreciate it.

Dear Ilovewings,

sorry to read that your partial feels so uncomfortable. I have no own advice, but here are two links from our FAQ that you might find useful:

All the best wishes, may you feel a sense of improvement soon and keep us posted

Back