• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Keep breaking teeth

DA11AS

taking a break from the forum
Joined
Jul 26, 2014
Messages
15
Location
UK
Why? Why? Why? I am feeling so down, so angry with life.

The past 4 years I have broken 3 teeth.

Eating chocolate with small bits of nut broke a tooth. Eating a cheese straw broke another tooth, and eating soft vegetable soup with beans in also broke another tooth.

I wish I could turn back time and avoid those three instances.

Has anyone done anything similar?
 
Yes, I broke countless teeth over the course of a few years. The first bad one was while I was eating a KitKat Crunchy, and it was very upsetting for me. I also avoided KitKat Crunchies for years afterwards! I think I was slightly traumatised. :P I've had toffee pull out fillings and by the time I finally got to the dentist I had various teeth broken down to the gum line.

It's very difficult to deal with mentally, feeling so clearly that things are getting worse. Have you spoken to a dentist? Do you know what treatments you might be getting in the future?

Hang in there. I know it feels awful, but it's not the end of the world, and you'll get through this. :hug4:
 
The first time I broke a tooth, I wasn't even eating anything - I had just woken up, yawned, closed my mouth and kinda bit down absentmindedly, and half the tooth (top left premolar) broke off. I was 16 at the time and mortified. About a year later, I chipped a front tooth in a flag team accident. My parents never really took me to the dentist growing up, and they never took me to fix this...they probably would have had I asked them to take me to get it fixed, but I was so embarrassed about the other tooth (at that point, it had already broken off to the gumline), and terrified of being judged (both by the dentist and my parents), that I never did.

Two of my bottom molars (one on each side) broke off by the time I was 20. One broke off while eating rice (I had to spit it into my hand discreetly), and the other just kept wiggling so I kind of broke it off myself. I had pain from those teeth over the years (sometimes severe), but it always subsided, and I was too terrified and embarrassed to do anything about it, so I never did. I also felt like a failure for letting things get so bad, since everyone around me seemingly had perfect teeth.

It wasn't until last summer that I started tackling my dental issues andot myself to a dentist (I'm 30 now). The first thing that my dentist noticed from looking at my panoramic x-rays was that I had teeth broken off to the gumline, but he also said that that didn't automatically mean that they couldn't be saved - in some cases, they can be built back up. In my case, those teeth broken off to the gumline couldn't be saved, but even then, there are options.

Like Sevena said, you are not alone and it's not the end of the world, and you'll get through this.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top