E
emmy1981
Junior member
- Joined
- Oct 29, 2011
- Messages
- 2
Hi all, long time lurker but first time poster. I bit the bullet (so to speak) last week after 17 years of not seeing a dentist and being a total phobic. I used to be so bad I used to unplug the house phone fearing the dentist would call my mum to try to 'get me' and later as an adult, couldn't even drive past a dental surgery...
Every bit of treatment I've had in the past has been performed under GA.
Until last week, I thought: I'm fed up of being frightened. I want lovely teeth (my fear of dentistry stopped me from getting braces when I should have and as a result I have a wonky front tooth. Plus I have a cavity in one of my molars that I'm afraid will give me blood poisoning or something...
So using the power of the Net I found this forum, read everyone's posts, then found a local private dentist who deals with nervous patients and booked in for a new patient consultation.
His practice was nothing like the surgeries I remember from my youth. It's more like a hair salon: trendy, big screen TVs, complimentary drinks and NO SMELL!
The man himself, Martin Fallowfield, was very nice. Self-assured, confident and put me at ease straight away. We had a chat first about my phobia and then he told me how I was in control at all times, how he would not hurt me, and if I wanted any check up or treatment to stop that I were to just raise my hand.
He then took a look around my mouth, took some X-rays and concluded I needed just my cavity filling - I was so certain I was going to have to have dreaded RCT! - and my two old amalgam fillings replaced with white and then suggested having a veneer fitted to my wonky tooth to give me the straight smile I wanted.
Because I was the last appointment of the day, he even fitted a temporary veneer on my tooth for free just so I could see the effect.
I was so, so happy.
And left booking the rest of my appointments - with my first on Monday morning for a filling.
At the moment I'm feeling strong. Almost looking forward to it in a way... but I'm just hoping this mood doesn't deteriorate over the weekend. Leaving me a wreck on Monday morning. I so badly don't want to be controlled by fear anymore. I want the nice teeth I deserve.
Anyway, I'd read on the Net that L-Theanine (Suntheanine - an amino acid) helps to aid relaxation. So I've bought a bottle. Anyone tried it?
I'm considering trying some today, just to see what happens, but I feel cool and happy at the moment.
Any one have any experience?
Every bit of treatment I've had in the past has been performed under GA.
Until last week, I thought: I'm fed up of being frightened. I want lovely teeth (my fear of dentistry stopped me from getting braces when I should have and as a result I have a wonky front tooth. Plus I have a cavity in one of my molars that I'm afraid will give me blood poisoning or something...
So using the power of the Net I found this forum, read everyone's posts, then found a local private dentist who deals with nervous patients and booked in for a new patient consultation.
His practice was nothing like the surgeries I remember from my youth. It's more like a hair salon: trendy, big screen TVs, complimentary drinks and NO SMELL!
The man himself, Martin Fallowfield, was very nice. Self-assured, confident and put me at ease straight away. We had a chat first about my phobia and then he told me how I was in control at all times, how he would not hurt me, and if I wanted any check up or treatment to stop that I were to just raise my hand.
He then took a look around my mouth, took some X-rays and concluded I needed just my cavity filling - I was so certain I was going to have to have dreaded RCT! - and my two old amalgam fillings replaced with white and then suggested having a veneer fitted to my wonky tooth to give me the straight smile I wanted.
Because I was the last appointment of the day, he even fitted a temporary veneer on my tooth for free just so I could see the effect.
I was so, so happy.
And left booking the rest of my appointments - with my first on Monday morning for a filling.
At the moment I'm feeling strong. Almost looking forward to it in a way... but I'm just hoping this mood doesn't deteriorate over the weekend. Leaving me a wreck on Monday morning. I so badly don't want to be controlled by fear anymore. I want the nice teeth I deserve.
Anyway, I'd read on the Net that L-Theanine (Suntheanine - an amino acid) helps to aid relaxation. So I've bought a bottle. Anyone tried it?
I'm considering trying some today, just to see what happens, but I feel cool and happy at the moment.
Any one have any experience?
.