• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Last dentist visit, the anaesthesia wore off after 5 minutes, scared to go again, what should I do?

N

noha21

Last dentist visit, the anaesthesia wore off after 5 minutes, scared to go again, what should I do?

I went to the dentist over 12 months ago for a filling to a new dentist I had never been to before, it went fine until after 5 minutes upon leaving the dentist I could feel the anaesthesia starting to wear off.

I know this isn't normal because I've had surgery before and it's supposed to numb for hours, I took painkillers I had on me but they did absolute nothing and at this point I was already on my 45 minute train journey home.

I was in the most intense pain of my life, I wanted to kill myself because of the pain.

I just went to a new dentist recently for a checkup and I have to have a root canal, naturally I'm anxious because I don't want this to happen again.

What should I have done in the first place? I was on the train so couldn't get off and go back to the dentist, would they have seen me immediately and given me more anaesthesia if I had gone back?

Should I have made a complaint? I'm in the UK and saw a NHS dentist.

Should I tell my new dentist what happened last time? It's strange that it has never happened to me before this though. I'm really anxious in case it happens again.

Definitely tell your new dentist exactly what happened. You may have been given insufficient anaesthetic, or one which your body metabolized too quickly. Or maybe the drilling/filling was very close to the nerve, in which case you should have been warned it might give you issues. Your new dentist will need to know this in order to give you the best treatment.

Re: Last dentist visit, the anaesthesia wore off after 5 minutes, scared to go again, what should I

I have a terrible time getting numb, and I have to inform any new dentist of this. That said, when I get fillings done, the anesthesia does not last much more than the actual visit.

For a root canal (I had one recently), they use a different type of numbing agent, that has more ephedrine in it, and is more powerful. I was terrified with my root canal, given my history, but the endodontist was great. She checked for complete numbness before she started and told me to raise my hand during the procedure if I needed her to stop and give more anesthetic.

I also had an oral surgery this summer, where the anesthetic did start wearing off during the procedure. It doesn't happen instantly. I started feeling a little twinge while she was working and raised my hand, and she numbed it again.

I would definitely talk to whoever is doing the root canal before they start and have a system in place in case the anesthetic starts wearing off too early.

Re: Last dentist visit, the anaesthesia wore off after 5 minutes, scared to go again, what should I

Don't make a complaint. This can happen so just let the dentist know and modifications can be made

This is my entire issue. I metabolize the numbing agents incredibly fast. I also have issues with needles in my mouth and a low threshold for pain in general. The dentist(s) get frustrated, I get more and more anxious, the more I hurt and with the inability to not feel the pain and am usually in tears when I leave - the dentist have either been so lacking in any empathy or out right rude bordering on aggressive that I don’t go back. I’m ashamed enough without them telling me how bad my teeth have become or showing their frustration and disbelief that I can still feel pain. They’ve said I’ve given you all the numbing agent I can. You will just have to tough it out! Then I am stuck hurting while they quickly patch enough to send me away. Then the cost - that is enough to make anyone anxious! I have one income. I don’t have a lot of money for out of pocket costs. I haven’t been to a dentist in over 15 years. I have a “temporary” bridge that has been in place since then! I have stress cracks/fractures in all of my front teeth - thank God they haven’t broken off! I was born without permanent teeth to replace many of my “baby” teeth on the sides and back. I had a couple knocked out in an accident. I have one molar left on the bottom on one side and two on the other side. My upper bridge is cracked on one side. And on the other upper I have my two front teeth and space, a tooth, another space and one last tooth. I’m told that I am pretty. But you should “smile” more. I don’t feel pretty. So, I look like i am mad all of the time because I am so self conscious of my dental issues. I’m 50. I have always been aware of my teeth not being good. In fact, there are no photos of me smiling with my teeth even showing. Not even when I was a very very small child. I am a nurse and a professional. I know what pain is. And it is not imagined. I know my anxiety makes it worse. If I could control that, i would. I know my fear of needles in my mouth is irrational. Again, it makes it no less of a fear for me. It keeps me constantly depressed and anxious.

I can sympathize. My childhood dentist didn't believe me that I could still feel pain, and I had to have a LOT of work done as a child, from pulling baby teeth and permanent teeth, to orthodontia. To make it worse, the dentist was a friend of my parents, so they believed him and thought I was being hysterical. Try having all four bicuspids pulled when you can feel everything. It is NOT just pressure.

Have you considered using conscious sedation? I had to have a root canal done this summer, and my new and awesome dentist suggested nitrous oxide. She said the more anxious you are, the less likely the anesthetic will work. I used nitrous and they gave me extra shots and I didn't feel a thing! That was the first time, and the procedure was over an hour.

I am having a lower molar extracted next week and all my old fears are coming into play, considering it was extractions that caused my phobia to begin with. I have already elected to have nitrous.

Back