• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Local anesthetic

Susanne

Susanne

I have heard/read that sometimes patients can have a reaction to the local anesthetic used in dental procedures or that it sometimes can accidentally get into your bloodstream and make you feel overly anxious/nervous. Is that true? If so, how often does something like that happen? I am already a nervous wreck and overloaded on adrenaline as it is when I have to go to the dentist. ?

Hi @Susanne, I definitely know the feeling of already being overloaded on adrenaline at the dentist! I’m not a dentist or dentist professional so would definitely wait for their answer or ask you own dentist. Not personal experience, but, someone posted the other day that epi free local anaesthetic helped them with this. I’ll see if I can re find the post.

I’m not a dentist but information regarding this is widely available online. There is epinephrine in local anesthetic. I believe it can cause an adverse reaction in sensitive individuals & may not be recommended for those with high blood pressure. I believe that there are other options for local anesthetic without epinephrine available, too. I would just speak to your dentist if this an area of concern for you. Best wishes! ?

Hi Susanne,

if you wish to read something about what Molar_bear and TKD1974 wrote, we have a good article about it here:

Back