• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

loose tooth Dentist appointment not until Thursday (posting this on a Sunday)

  • Thread starter Thread starter jma1024
  • Start date Start date
J

jma1024

Junior member
Joined
Jun 14, 2015
Messages
12
loose tooth Dentist appointment not until Thursday (posting this on a Sunday)

If you don't want to read my backstory skip to last 2 paragraphs sorry for the long post.

I have a tremendous fear of the dentist because way back when I was a kid I had a very traumatic experience. My main dentist recommended me to some specialist (something about my baby teeth weren't coming in properly) and when I got there being 3 years old I wanted my mom to come back in the room with me but he wouldn't let her I threw a crying fit and he sat me on the chair and strapped my hands down and I refused like hell to open my mouth for him (not kidding at all).

So that started my life long fear. I don't fear anything like I fear the dentist. I stopped going after high school because my mom still made me go to the dentist that recommended the specialist and I'll be honest I never liked or trusted that dentist after that pretty much anything he said went in one ear out the other. I went to him because I had to.

So fast forward 6 years since I've last been to the dentist and my front tooth is loose not incredibly loose but I can feel it. I've known for awhile my teeth have been getting bad. I am sure I have a number of cavities, but out of fear I put off going, but a loose tooth is apparently my wake up call. I called a dentist of my choice and her website says she will work with high anxiety patients which is great and what I was looking for.

My question or looking for tips to keep it in there hopefully until Thursday. I am trying to not play with it of course and also not bite or pull with it. I have been eating by using my molars and teeth in the back to try to avoid using that front tooth as much as possible. I've cut out all soda (not that I drank a whole lot but cut it out completely). And brushing gently on that tooth in particular.
 
Re: loose tooth Dentist appointment not until Thursday (posting this on a Sunday)

Sounds like you are doing all the right things. Try not to worry about it or focus on it too much. In particular don't test it or check it constantly with your tongue, don't clench, eat soft foods etc. Try to focus on other things in life and the time will pass quickly. Let us know how you get on.
 
Re: loose tooth Dentist appointment not until Thursday (posting this on a Sunday)

You are certainly doing what is required to be done. However it is very important to see your dentist and get the treatment done before the tooth falls out completely. I wonder why don't you see some other dentist rather than wait?
 
Re: loose tooth Dentist appointment not until Thursday (posting this on a Sunday)

You are certainly doing what is required to be done. However it is very important to see your dentist and get the treatment done before the tooth falls out completely. I wonder why don't you see some other dentist rather than wait?

I really liked what I read on their website about dealing with anxiety patients. The appointment is tomorrow and tooth is still there. Going to take it real easy today what I eat and drink hope I make it until tomorrow.
 
Re: loose tooth Dentist appointment not until Thursday (posting this on a Sunday)

Quick update went to my appointment. They said it's not loose something about bonding or something enamel I can't recall what they called it was coming off my tooth. I was so nervous and anxious I just said okay is it fixable she said of course hopefully that did the trick. I got a shot of nova-cane so can't feel anything around that tooth ha.

I really liked her she was very calming. A couple of times a clenched my fist (hate the sounds of the tools even though I couldn't feel a thing) and I think she saw me each time clench my fist and tense up because she paused pulled the tool away and asked if I was okay.

I liked her so much I decided to go back. I got another appointment next Friday for a full exam.
 
Re: loose tooth Dentist appointment not until Thursday (posting this on a Sunday)

Well done! I am thrilled that you found someone that you like and trust. Just remember that clenching your fists and/or toes is a great coping mechanism, but be sure to also relax them. "Jazz hands" or feet can also help (a bit of shaking to loosen them up). This can all be done while she continues to work as long as you have a different signal for her to stop or it's time for a break. My signal for stop is my arm going up in the air (either one). When I say time, which she always seems to understand, that means when she is done with the current tooth we will take a break for a minute or two. I am not shy about using these signals and honestly I think she appreciates that because instead of focusing on my body language she can focus on my teeth. I am glad that your tooth wasn't loose after all. Keep it up! You are doing wonderfully!
 
Re: loose tooth Dentist appointment not until Thursday (posting this on a Sunday)

Thank you so much. I was a little worried since I thought my tooth was loose and couldn't get in for a week but I am so glad I waited to go to her. Her and her assistants were all very pleasant. The assistant was trying to joke around with me (not about my teeth of course) which helped lighten things up. My old dentist who was an older guy was always really serious and tended to raise his voice when I went for a checkup and had cavities and stuff.

I liked that the new dentist and her assistant were very friendly and joking around even the receptionists were great. I was so anxious but the receptionist said something that got me to crack a little smile. It was just a great easy going type environment which is what I like. The dentist was like yeah looks like you're having some problems let's fix it up but in a calm normal talking voice didn't feel like I was being yelled at. And it went so smooth when she said you're done I was surprised how quick it felt the procedure went. At my old dentist it felt like I was there forever and would never get out of the chair.

I'll bring up the signal thing next week for sure. I am still nervous a little about going but I figure if I keep going I'll become really comfortable with them it will workout glad I am back to going though.
 
Back
Top