• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Lower wisdom is close to the nerve?

  • Thread starter Thread starter rootj5
  • Start date Start date
R

rootj5

Junior member
Joined
Jan 21, 2016
Messages
1
I was hoping I could potentially get some feedback by hopefully some professionals if they think my lower wisdoms particular my right side (which shows left obviously in the x-ray).

Also from those of you who have had their wisdoms out, were they near the nerve? How did the procedure go? Does it matter for the surgeon for the patient to be under local vs general anesthesia when performing this procedure or is that just a personal preference thing?

Thanks!
 

Attachments

  • FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 20
I also was very concerned about nerve damage resulting from wisdom tooth extraction. Hearing all the horror stories had me terrified and because of this I did some digging and consulted a friend who is in dental school at USC. He told me of this new device that they had just been using called Piezosurgery. Basically this tool cuts bone without cutting soft tissue so nerves are not at risk! I mean like you can press the saw against the nerve and there would be no damage. I found a local oral surgeon who had this device and specialized in extractions and my procedure went perfectly. I had little to no discomfort and was back on my feet in a couple of days. I would recommend to anyone who is seriously looking into wisdom tooth removal with fear of nerve damage to find an oral surgeon that uses it. I couldnt be more satisfied with the results of my procedure.

As far as anesthetics go that really depends on the doctor and what he would prefer to use for your specific case. Its more of a preference thing, personally I couldnt imagine being conscious during the procedure so I asked to be put under.
 
Back
Top