• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Made an appointment after 20 years away from the dentist

D

daliro

After reading the posts on this site, I finally made an appointment for this Wednesday to see a dentist after a LONG absence. I feel so ashamed. I strongly suspect I have advanced gum disease, and I'm so depressed about the possibility of dentures. Like many others, I'm embarrassed to have anyone look at my teeth. The worst part of it is that it's my fault, and I'm so angry at myself for not having gone sooner. Any support/advice would be appreciated.

You made the first step... making an appointment. That's an accomplishment and you should be proud! Alot of folks have a hard time making this first step. I know most people think their teeth are just horrible, myself included. With the advancements in dental care, alot of the problems are easily fixable.

Wishing you the best of luck! Please let us know how it goes!

Thank you DDK for the positive words. I'll be on pins and needles, so to speak, until the appointment, but I will try to look on the bright side.

Well done to you for taking that first step. I hadn’t been for 30 years out of pure fear but getting the first appointment out of the way was such a relief. We just had a chat, a gentle look in my mouth and the chart thing was done, photos and X-rays. I did cry but I knew I would ? at some point. There were no surprises for me because I knew I would be going down the denture route but I am so glad I’ve done it and feel so much healthier physically and mentally. Good luck to you.

Hi daliro, just saw this and wondering how you got on yesterday... hope you're OK :grouphug:

Thank you for asking! Everything went well. The staff were very nice and patient. It turns out, miraculously, that my teeth are healthy. All I needed was a cleaning and a filling next week. I'm so relieved and now look forward to going back!

That's fantastic news - well done ???!!!!

After reading the posts on this site, I finally made an appointment for this Wednesday to see a dentist after a LONG absence. I feel so ashamed. I strongly suspect I have advanced gum disease, and I'm so depressed about the possibility of dentures. Like many others, I'm embarrassed to have anyone look at my teeth. The worst part of it is that it's my fault, and I'm so angry at myself for not having gone sooner. Any support/advice would be appreciated.
Good for you ?...I hadn't been to the dentist for 30 years & my teeth are bad, if I can you can , ....made my first appointment 9th of December... The anxiety was nuts & still is tbh.. had a wisdom tooth out a week later, never felt a thing was so surprised ..I was in and out in 15 minutes
I've alot of work still to be done , I go back next Wednesday for 2 more to be taken out and a filling ? don't think I'll ever get over the anxiety feeling it'll always be there and the over thinking the situaty ...but I need to get them done ...keep telling yourself you can do this it has to be done, there professional at what they do , that's what I do walking into the dentist... Nothing more important than your health ..and I know I've been through the pain rather than go to the dentist ..but it gets to a certain point you can't take anymore ..... Keep us updated ..there's always someone on here to talk ..???????????

Thank you for asking! Everything went well. The staff were very nice and patient. It turns out, miraculously, that my teeth are healthy. All I needed was a cleaning and a filling next week. I'm so relieved and now look forward to going back!
Just seen this ... really good to hear ..well done

This is amazing! So happy for you! I’m going to the dentist for a check up after a two year gap and am terrified of having to have loads done so your story has given me hope. Awesome you - well done!

This is amazing! So happy for you! I’m going to the dentist for a check up after a two year gap and am terrified of having to have loads done so your story has given me hope. Awesome you - well done!
Thank you! Wishing you the best on your visit. I’m sure everything will be fine.

Back