A
Anxietygirl
Junior member
- Joined
- Sep 7, 2016
- Messages
- 1
I have had Dental anxiety for as long as I can remember. As a child I would end up in a full blown panic attack either before or during an appointment. I recall sitting in the chair maybe 5 years old, the shiny tools sitting next to me on the tray, the dentist in a mask. He sat down grabbed a pointy tool and I lost it. I started hyperventilating and crying...this dentist yelled at me "I cant look at your teeth while you are crying, stop!" when I wouldn't calm down he stopped trying and told me I couldn't take a toy from the chest. I assume this is when it all started.
I have been to the dentist, only when I couldn't handle the pain of a tooth. I have had a few molar extractions over the years, because to me it was easier to just go in and pull it, go home and forget about it, then having to go back over and over to fix my mouth.
Right now I have a molar that has decayed to the gum line, and it seems concave in the center, I have a few jagged edges sticking up a bit, I have 2 wisdom teeth still in my mouth, as well as a few other cavities I do know know how bad they are. It could be worse on the inside. My mouth feels terrible, gross really. I obsess over my broken molar, I also have a generalized anxiety disorder that manifests itself with health worry. So I constantly worry about my decay and mouth issues turning into something much worse, or life threatening, and I hate the thought of a dentist telling me how terrible they are, and that it may be something so bad I have to go through a long lengthy treatment.
I currently have no severe pain, I have discomfort, and now I have a sore spot on my neck, I assume either a lymph node, or possible start of an infection, so I made an appointment for tomorrow, because I am sick of waking up in a panic attack that my sore neck is going to kill me, I know that sounds stupid, but it is how my brain thinks.
I am so scared, embarrassed I am freaking out inside. I also have a fear of anesthesia so that alone makes me panic, thinking they may suggest it.
I hate this feeling, I am so sick of being unhealthy, but this fear is overwhelming.
I have been to the dentist, only when I couldn't handle the pain of a tooth. I have had a few molar extractions over the years, because to me it was easier to just go in and pull it, go home and forget about it, then having to go back over and over to fix my mouth.
Right now I have a molar that has decayed to the gum line, and it seems concave in the center, I have a few jagged edges sticking up a bit, I have 2 wisdom teeth still in my mouth, as well as a few other cavities I do know know how bad they are. It could be worse on the inside. My mouth feels terrible, gross really. I obsess over my broken molar, I also have a generalized anxiety disorder that manifests itself with health worry. So I constantly worry about my decay and mouth issues turning into something much worse, or life threatening, and I hate the thought of a dentist telling me how terrible they are, and that it may be something so bad I have to go through a long lengthy treatment.
I currently have no severe pain, I have discomfort, and now I have a sore spot on my neck, I assume either a lymph node, or possible start of an infection, so I made an appointment for tomorrow, because I am sick of waking up in a panic attack that my sore neck is going to kill me, I know that sounds stupid, but it is how my brain thinks.
I am so scared, embarrassed I am freaking out inside. I also have a fear of anesthesia so that alone makes me panic, thinking they may suggest it.
I hate this feeling, I am so sick of being unhealthy, but this fear is overwhelming.

You're not alone. Lots of anxiety sufferers here, including me. I have health anxiety too. It's not fun. 
