• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Massive hole in tooth... no pain from it, but sharp edge is hurting inner cheek?

  • Thread starter Thread starter aem2188
  • Start date Start date
A

aem2188

Junior member
Joined
Apr 8, 2016
Messages
1
Massive hole in tooth... no pain from it, but sharp edge is hurting inner cheek?

About 2 weeks ago, I noticed I had a hole in my very back molar on the left side. I knew then I needed to go to the dentist. I decided to do nothing, obviously. Fast forward to this week, it has gotten out of control and I believe I'm to the point where the tooth can not be saved. I feel like the hole is massive, so much so I can put the pad of my index finger in the tooth.

The problem? No insurance.

Also? The jagged edge of the tooth, which I can only assume is a cavity that is rotting out, is cutting my inner cheek. You can actually feel a hard spot on the outside where my inner cheek has been rubbed so much. I'm typing this with a cotton ball over the tooth, to add a barrier and avoid tooth-to-cheek contact.

I'd like to note that the actual tooth is not causing me pain, just the friction between tooth and cheek.

So my question is... has anyone experienced this? What will my dentist likely do? Extract it or try to save it?
 
Re: Massive hole in tooth... no pain from it, but sharp edge is hurting inner cheek?

I've had something similar on tooth 19 and 30. my decaying hole was not as big as that I could put my index pad finger in (it was more like I could put my index finger's nail in, and it was big enough to get food stuck). It was on the cheek side too, but I did not have the canker sore issues you have. That sounds awful. I also did not have any tooth pain.

Now keep in mind everyone's teeth are different, situations are different and genetics can play a big role. 1 1/2 years ago tooth 19 demanded attention (not because of pain but because it fell apart in my mouth painlessly). My mom dragged me to a dentist and I ended up needing a crown specifically because of how the decay had traveled through my teeth. My mom had found a wonderful dentist so I had a decent time in the chair. My tooth was savable. However, the mirror molar on the other side, tooth 30 had the same decay. 6 months later I went in hoping for a crown. I ended up having to have it extracted, and I ended up getting an implant. Now the implant is finally in *Yay* but it took awhile.

It really all depends on how the decay travels in the tooth, and only the dentist is going to know that. They will always try to save it, whether it is a large filling, RTC or if the tooth has to go. I know it sounds scary to see what the dentist says, but as someone who used to have a decay hole on both 19 and 30 molars...I'm happy I got them crowned/extracted. I don't miss having crappy teeth. I can't even begin to tell you how much better it feels. It's totally worth it.

Let me know if you have any questions =D Other people may be able to jump in too.
 

Similar threads

Back
Top