• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Mental/dental health update from hatemyself

H

hatemyself

Hellooooo you lovely lot! I just thought I'd post a small update.

Dental front: after the run in with Miss 1950s-esque sit-down-and-shut-up dentist (see last post for that excitement), I haven't been back (surprise surprise). However, I do plan on reregistering at another dental practice in April which will hopefully be better. In the meantime I am taking immaculate care of my teeth and feeling good in the knowledge that I didn't need any fillings - just a recommendation for a toothpaste that will ease tooth sensitivity. I'm honestly surprised as I eat a looooot of sugar (major sweet tooth going on over here). So it feels good to know all my flossing and such has paid off!

Mental front: I got put on some mood stabilisers called Aripiprazole/Abilify (actually a mild anti-psychotic... eep!). So far the side effects are beastly; insomnia coupled with restlessness means abject tiredness with an edge, shaking, blurry vision and hot flushes. But I'm gonna stick it out and see how it goes, because I know it will help me. A peer support worker (someone who's been through it before) and group therapy were also prescribed.

General front: Struggling a lot tbh. The main problem is, I've identified it, is the mood swings, which will hopefully be controlled by this new medication. But I'm hanging in there as best I can. Sorry for going off the radar for a while, a looooot has happened. Haven't been able to spend much time on here.

Hope you're all doing well.

Peace,

HM

:bear::bear::bear::bear:

Hellooooo you lovely lot! I just thought I'd post a small update.

Dental front: after the run in with Miss 1950s-esque sit-down-and-shut-up dentist (see last post for that excitement), I haven't been back (surprise surprise). However, I do plan on reregistering at another dental practice in April which will hopefully be better. In the meantime I am taking immaculate care of my teeth and feeling good in the knowledge that I didn't need any fillings - just a recommendation for a toothpaste that will ease tooth sensitivity. I'm honestly surprised as I eat a looooot of sugar (major sweet tooth going on over here). So it feels good to know all my flossing and such has paid off!

Mental front: I got put on some mood stabilisers called Aripiprazole/Abilify (actually a mild anti-psychotic... eep!). So far the side effects are beastly; insomnia coupled with restlessness means abject tiredness with an edge, shaking, blurry vision and hot flushes. But I'm gonna stick it out and see how it goes, because I know it will help me. A peer support worker (someone who's been through it before) and group therapy were also prescribed.

General front: Struggling a lot tbh. The main problem is, I've identified it, is the mood swings, which will hopefully be controlled by this new medication. But I'm hanging in there as best I can. Sorry for going off the radar for a while, a looooot has happened. Haven't been able to spend much time on here.

Hope you're all doing well.

Peace,

HM

:bear::bear::bear::bear:

Sounds like you’re making some good progress in getting issues resolved or under control. Recovery isn’t a linear process so it’s going to take time, but we all recognize that here on this forum and we all struggle to some degree or another. The main thing is to never give up and to believe that we can ‘get there’ no matter how long it takes. Hopefully the meds you’ve been given will work out after a while, or if not, you could try other kinds. It’s also great for you to get the opportunity to try group therapy, zzz that is something I do and I find it really helps me. It’s hard to be patient when we want to feel ‘normal’ again, but It’s worth it in the end, when we make progress. All the best to you and let us know how you are getting on ?☺️

Sounds like you’re making some good progress in getting issues resolved or under control. Recovery isn’t a linear process so it’s going to take time, but we all recognize that here on this forum and we all struggle to some degree or another. The main thing is to never give up and to believe that we can ‘get there’ no matter how long it takes. Hopefully the meds you’ve been given will work out after a while, or if not, you could try other kinds. It’s also great for you to get the opportunity to try group therapy, zzz that is something I do and I find it really helps me. It’s hard to be patient when we want to feel ‘normal’ again, but It’s worth it in the end, when we make progress. All the best to you and let us know how you are getting on ?☺️

You're absolutely right, recovery isn't linear but it's taking so LONG! But I resolved recently to stop waiting to live my life, to start living it now while I can. Although it's hard to live sometimes I can still do it - so I've got to make the most of it and go for it while I can, with what strength I do have.

I will never give up! Thank you Aurora, hope you have an awesome weekend :)

:bear:

You're absolutely right, recovery isn't linear but it's taking so LONG! But I resolved recently to stop waiting to live my life, to start living it now while I can. Although it's hard to live sometimes I can still do it - so I've got to make the most of it and go for it while I can, with what strength I do have.

I will never give up! Thank you Aurora, hope you have an awesome weekend :)

:bear:

I am glad you've got a determined frame of mind going, thats so important. Last year i was impatient at myself too because i ended up in the ER with a panic attack that i couldn't get under control and I said exactly the same thing myself that you're saying here-when am i going to start daring to live fully again and not be fearful and anxious? If not now-when? I just decided again that I will never give up and I will still go through with things I'm frightened of going through with so that anxiety doesn't win. Underneath it all we ARE overcomers I believe, we ARE stronger and braver than we think we are. Or why else would be keep on doing the things we find terrifying? You have absolutely the right attitude, you keep on keeping on!
And just to say, I have no clue what the zzz is doing up there in my previous post, maybe some left over sedation in my system? Haha!
Have a great weekend my friend ?

I am glad you've got a determined frame of mind going, thats so important. Last year i was impatient at myself too because i ended up in the ER with a panic attack that i couldn't get under control and I said exactly the same thing myself that you're saying here-when am i going to start daring to live fully again and not be fearful and anxious? If not now-when? I just decided again that I will never give up and I will still go through with things I'm frightened of going through with so that anxiety doesn't win. Underneath it all we ARE overcomers I believe, we ARE stronger and braver than we think we are. Or why else would be keep on doing the things we find terrifying? You have absolutely the right attitude, you keep on keeping on!
And just to say, I have no clue what the zzz is doing up there in my previous post, maybe some left over sedation in my system? Haha!
Have a great weekend my friend ?

Incredibly powerful words, Aurora. Sorry to hear you were an inpatient - you are super strong and super amazing, and you're right we're both strong as how else would be still be going? You've given me a lot to think about - I will live my life now! Right now.

Have a brilliant weekend too, Aurora, I'm here for you. Bear hugs, HM :bear::bear::bear:

Incredibly powerful words, Aurora. Sorry to hear you were an inpatient - you are super strong and super amazing, and you're right we're both strong as how else would be still be going? You've given me a lot to think about - I will live my life now! Right now.

Have a brilliant weekend too, Aurora, I'm here for you. Bear hugs, HM :bear::bear::bear:

Sorry, another typo-it was meant to be read impatient as that was how I was feeling about myself :)
Yes, sieze the day! Tomorrow is not promised to anyone-take care and keep in touch ?

Well done on your recent progress! I am sure your new dentist will look after you very well indeed. Good luck and keep us all posted with how things are going! As you may have seen my turn has come up again this coming Wednesday but should be gradually easier as the visits build up. Basic advice when you go; be honest and do not settle for anything less than perfect for yourself and remember, like me, we are dental abuse survivors! It takes a lot of courage to face up to this and get the help we need and have every right to expect. Love Simon :cool:

Back