• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Mental Nerve Numbness

C

Colesy

Hi Everyone,

I've had a bad tooth for a while and a couple of weeks back the pain was severe and all weekend. My left lower lip, chin and jaw (back to the 2nd premolar - problem tooth) went numb.

I saw the dentist on the Monday who prescribed antibiotics saying there were an infection at the root of the tooth but surprised about the numbness. It wasn't classed as an abscess, just an infection. I was booked in for a root canal today (21st).

The amoxicillin cleared up the throbbing and general tooth pain (though I still experience pain biting down). Numbness is still there two weeks on. I did go back to the dentist the same week and the numbness hadn't improved and I was told it will probably remain until the RCT is carried out (or extraction).

Today they've cancelled the apt saying there is no dentist available and my next apt is 7th January to have the work done.

My concern is that it'll be a month with the numbness and will this delay cause permanent damage to the nerves? When I mentioned it to the receptionist, couldn't speak to a dentist, they said they wont know until the 7th and if the pain is too bad over the next two weeks, they can try a temporary filling (but no drilling).

Any advice would be welcome as the numbness isn't improving and I'm really concerned it could remain permanent with no treatment until the 7th.

Thanks for your time.

It's not ideal, but it's not likely to cause you any long term damage. Chances are there's a sack of pus round the root of the tooth pressing on the nerve and blocking transmission, remove that and things should resolve.

Cheers Gordon for the quick reply. Much appreciated.

It's not ideal, but it's not likely to cause you any long term damage. Chances are there's a sack of pus round the root of the tooth pressing on the nerve and blocking transmission, remove that and things should resolve.

Went to the dentist last week for the first part of the root canal treatment and she said that there wasn't any sign of infection (after antibiotics) left. Numbness is still there and quite prickly in sensation now. Some slight throbbing from the tooth if I press my tongue against it.

Next appointment is 21st but the numbness (still lower jaw, chin and lip left side) is starting to concern me even more. Thinking of asking them to extract the tooth.

Prickly is good, it's a sign of recovery. There's no point in removing the tooth, bigger chance of damaging the area than just finishing off the root canal.

Prickly is good, it's a sign of recovery. There's no point in removing the tooth, bigger chance of damaging the area than just finishing off the root canal.

Hi Gordon thanks for the reply. I do have a reasonably painful/sore pressure point that sits on the jawline directly under where the affected tooth is. If I press it, I get a sensation in my lip where the numbness is (like a diagonal line), is that also part of recovery?

The prickly sensation doesn't happen all the time but it's definitely a different sensation to just having an itch in my beard.

'Dr Google' (something I shouldn't have done) is shocking reading for 'Numb Chin Syndrome' so the numbness is present, without clear signs of improvement, the more worried I get.

Just thought I'd update, going back to the dentist today as the painful point on my jaw flared up and made the problem tooth throb for hours. There's also a hard-ish point next to the tooth inside my mouth that's also painful (matches the same point outside) The paresthesia hasn't changed (despite the odd prickly feeling) and is genuinely affecting my mental health and work.

This will be my fourth visit to the dentist in just over a month and nothing is getting better.

The numb feeling can take years to resolve if you're very unlucky, but the tingling feeling is the nerve starting to "work" again, it's a good thing and is a sign of improvement, honest!

The numb feeling can take years to resolve if you're very unlucky, but the tingling feeling is the nerve starting to "work" again, it's a good thing and is a sign of improvement, honest!

Hi Gordon,

Went back to the dentist and they say there's an abscess now which they've prescribed amoxicillin for. First part of the RCT was done last Thursday, next one is 21st so this is the 2nd infection since the original issue (same area). My face had a burning sensation and the two pressure points were really painful (peel me off the ceiling level). Two dentists had a look yesterday and are adamant it's an abscess.

I've gone years with no issues at all with teeth (lucky I know) but this one tooth/area has been a nightmare for months.

Actually, to be very pedantic, it's the same abscess and the same infection. Not that it really matters.
Antibiotics will calm it down a bit but the only real cure is to complete the root treatment.

Actually, to be very pedantic, it's the same abscess and the same infection. Not that it really matters.
Antibiotics will calm it down a bit but the only real cure is to complete the root treatment.

Hi Gordon,

The RCT was completed today, so it's a case of wait and see now I suppose! They said to give it a week and let them know if the numbness doesn't get any better.

I'm thinking it should as yesterday and this morning the numbness was less noticeable.

Thanks for your comments throughout.

I'm glad you've got it done, keep me posted, I like to hear how these things turn out.

I'm glad you've got it done, keep me posted, I like to hear how these things turn out.

Morning Gordon,

No pain or discomfort but the numbness still present. The pressure point on my jaw by the tooth is still there - though not painful as it once was - and if I gently press on it it makes my left lower lip tingle.

Some days I notice it more than others but it's just hanging around. Nowhere near as bad as it was early December.

I'll give it another week before I contact them (they said a week) as you've mentioned these things take time.

Cheers ?

Thanks. Not wanting to depress you but it can take months sometimes.

Back