• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Mepivacaine query

Carys

Carys

A quick wee question -

When is mepivacaine offered as a local anaesthetic; by that I mean why is it used instead of Lidocaine, are there advantages/disadvantages ? (bearing in mind I have asked for epine. free)

Thanks

Anyone ? :) Sorry, I know it is short notice, but my appointment is today.....

'The 5 local anaesthetics used in dentistry today are:

Lidocaine Hydrochloride (UK: Lignocaine) (tradenames: Xylocaine, Alphacaine, Lignospan, Octocaine)
Mepivacaine Hydrochloride (tradenames: Carbocaine, Arestocaine, Isocaine, Polocaine, Scandonest)
Prilocaine Hydrochloride (tradename: Citanest)
Articaine Hydrochloride (tradenames: Septocaine, Septanest, Astracaine, Ultracaine)
Bupivacaine Hydrochloride (tradename: Marcaine)'
Source: https://www.dentalfearcentral.org/fears/allergy-to-local-anaesthetic/

I had scandonest used on me recently. I know because it was mentioned by name without my asking. It numbs very effectively. I hadn't got numb from the first dose of something else and this did the trick. To me it feels like stronger stuff than with lignocaine.
Marcaine lasts a lot longer than the others and so is used if there is likely to be post-op pain or by kind dentists if a patient has a bad toothache and can't be seen till later in the day.

Last edited:
Most dentists would say that while Mepivacane works well other anesthetics work a higher percentage of the time. Mep is also short duration and more toxic per cc of injection so you can't inject as many carpules.

Back