• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Metronizadole for abcess

  • Thread starter Thread starter jd222
  • Start date Start date
J

jd222

Member
Joined
Jun 26, 2025
Messages
25
Location
Uk
I have a chronic (14 months) abcess which I'm booked in for sedation for in 8 weeks. It's not causing problems or pain but I have slight swelling. I have some metronizadole but after reading side effects I'm a bit hesitant to take it. Does anyone have any good experiences? I've been really ill with b12 deficiency which has caused all kinds of mental & physical issues and just feeling generally awful at the moment and don't want to add to it.

Thanks
 
It's a very effective drug for dental infections, where the first line drug (usually Penicillin of some sort) has not been effective. Side effects are mostly stomach upsets and sort of indigestion symptoms. Unless it's mixed with alcohol where things can get a bit more interesting :-)
However, it sounds like you don't need an antibiotic at this time, so don't take it!
 
@Gordon hi Gordon, thanks for your reply. The abcess is slightly draining if I press on the area and there is slight swelling in my face and slight pressure. Should I not take the antibiotics ?
 
No, if it's draining and there's no systemic issues then it'd be best not to.
 
Thank you, I'll hold off for now.
 
Yeah, keep them in case you really need them :-)
 
Back
Top