• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Mind games

  • Thread starter Thread starter polly200
  • Start date Start date
P

polly200

Junior member
Joined
Jun 10, 2010
Messages
6
I have been as bad as it gets in the past with dental phobia. I'm still not great but I think I am better than I was.
I would like to ask if anyone has any tips on how to control thoughts when an appointment is up and coming?
I cancelled my latest check up and put back 2 months as I couldn't function day to day at work and home with knowing I was going soon. My mind knows this is only short term relief but I couldn't stand the pressure it was putting me under.
I have a brilliant dentist. Couldn't ask for anyone better and I know I am very lucky for that.
I want to know an appointment is coming and have it at the back of my mind rather than nagging away at me constantly. I feel on top of the world when I've been it's just getting there!
Any advice or tips would be appreciated.

Many thanks
 
Hi @polly200 great to hear that you have a wonderful dentist, that's half the battle!

Depending on how flexible you are at work, would it be possible to ask for an appointment at short notice (when someone else cancels)? That way, at least you'd have less days to worry beforehand.

Some other things which people have found helpful:

1. Journalling your positive experiences
Write about positive experiences shortly after your appointment. Include as many details as you can remember. You can read over these experiences when you feel anxious in the run-up to your next appointment.

2. Support from friends or family
It can be comforting to share your fears with somebody who will understand and help you to not feel so alone in your anxiety, e.g. an understanding partner or friend. Often we get caught up more in our worries when we can't share them with anyone.

3. Distraction
Doing things to distract or pamper yourself in the run-up to the appointment can be helpful. Some examples include shopping (or window shopping), watching your favourite TV shows, playing a favourite game, doing monotonous tasks such as spring cleaning, tidying up, or playing a monotonous game, doing sports/going to the gym/ going for a walk, trying out new recipes, etc.

4. Writing down your thoughts on paper
Sometimes it can help to just write down what exactly worries you about the upcoming appointment. This can also help when you have trouble falling asleep because your mind goes in circles.

Not sure if any of these tips might work for you, but some of them might be worth a try. As you said, you already know that you'll feel really good once you've been, so that's a good thought to hold onto :) . Keeping my fingers crossed that you'll be able to make it next time 🤞!
 

Similar threads

Back
Top