• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Mobile tooth help

Judythecat

Judythecat

Can any dentists help, please? I have a front upper tooth which is slightly mobile (grade one) due to teeth clenching. I have no gum disease, and no decay, but the tooth has been painful on and off for months. I wear a mouthguard for bruxism and am due to get a new one fitted this week. Is there any way this tooth will stop being mobile, or will it become more and more loose and need extracted? I'm too scared to eat on that side of my mouth - my dentist said it is in no danger of popping out, but I am so worried about it.

That's a tricky one, without seeing x-rays, the only answer is "maybe" sorry.

If it's only M1 mobile it's not going to be going anywhere for a long time and the new splint will prevent it getting worse, even if it never gets fully better.

Thanks for the reply, Gordon. There is bone loss, but no gum disease (and I have never had gum disease, always gone to six month checks, always taken good care of my teeth - this seems so unfair!) which has also been attributed to clenching. I have been seen at Maxillo Facial at the hospital as well as by my own dentist, and they put it down to bruxism too.

My stress has been caused by circumstances at home, which just this week have been resolved (partner made redundant two years ago, so all very difficult, has now got a perfect job) so I am hoping the clenching will ease off a bit, plus the new night guard should help.

When you say the tooth is "not going anywhere" do you mean - broadly speaking - this week, this month, this year, or five years? I'm actually back at the dentist this afternoon but I get so flustered there I find it difficult to ask sensible questions. I'm back at MF at the end of June for further evaluation.

Just updating to say the dentist re-examined the tooth yesterday before doing the crown prep and impressions. She said it was borderline to even be grade one, and the mobility was similar to what people get after having braces. I was scared it would come out in the impressions tray, but she told me (nicely) not to be so daft, and that the tooth was going absolutely nowhere.

Such relieving news to hear Judythe cat! Very glad for you it will stick around for a while! :)

Back