• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Molar(2nd) removal- diy

D

diy_dentristry

Ok,

Here's the situation.

I've just made an appointment with a dentist who filled in a cavity between the back and 2nd molar(mainly this one, this is the problem tooth) some 3-4 years ago. I liked his work and was surprised at how painless it was.Now it's developed a crack and could maybe be redone ( though i am no expert) -cleaned and refilled.

so i make this appointment like a couple of days ago,But they said cos you are not registered you have to wait until after the new year, the 8th jan.

One- i'm not sure if i can be bothered waiting that long
Two- i might have to go to jail soon as there is a warrant out for my arrest( and i'd rather this was sorted before i hand myself in. it can be uncomfortable enough as it is, beside the fact that you are hardly nhs priority if you are in custody- they might say just grin and bear it.ceratinly for the first few days until you get to prison and i don't have a toothbrush to keep it clean etc though really there is enough discomfort i a situation like that as it is and i really don't know if ican be bothered waiting)

The second molar has a recessive cavity between itself and the back-most molar, with filling cracked but still in it.

I certainly don't have a phobia of this young capable dentist, btw.

So,

Is diy removal of 2nd molar really that sore/painful?

This tooth has some marginal movement, wiggling, though could tease/coax it more.

Is it really that difficult and/or painful with pliers or the string method?

I have watched a video or 2 on u-tube , though most were wisdom or baby teeth of kids

One ,or two, adults wee featured doing molar.

Or perhaps i should return to dentist and ask them to try and fit me in soomer.(??)

Can i be bothered waiting, if it's not that diffiuclt or painfu?

Would the second molar hurt if one tried to pull/yank it out oneself?

Hope this makes sense- i don't fear this dentist; it's just that 3 weeks is abit long to wait for appointment particulalarly when i have the warrant hanging over me ( and a sore back etc).perhaps a dentist could do something else at a later date

Cheers for suggestions or experience with diy approach.

Last edited:
Although Tom Hanks made it look relatively easy in "Castaway," it's probably not the best thing to try to remove a second molar do it yourself style at home. Without anesthetics, I would say that pain would be the first thing that pops up if trying to attempt something like this. Unless it's extremely wobble, floss will break before budging it much.

Back