• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Molar and wisdom tooth options besides extracting

W

Wearyme

I am 61 years old. My roots are tough. I was told I have cavitities and some decay below my bottom right gum line, one under a molar that already has a crown, and the wisdom tooth next to it. I don't want either of them pulled but was told the first tooth might be or will become infected. Is it possible to have a root canal or the cavities filled, on either or both of these teeth instead of removal? How dangerous it is to remove one or both rear teeth in someone my age. A few years ago, a dental surgeon told me, pulling wisdom teeth at my age might (and because of my roots) damage my nerves and might paralyze my mouth. For now, I have been assigned to a teaching program and have been assured that a professional will do the removals. An implant might be possible but a partial is not because there would be no rear mouth support. I would much prefer to save these teeth. Is there another option?

Hi Wearyme,
You have asked a number or questions which I shall try to address:
  • Is is possible to do root canals rather than extract a tooth with decay below the gum? It may be possible. However, there is no point doing a root canal on a tooth is it is so weakened by decay that it will crumble in a few months anyway. It is worth asking your dentist because he may have just assumed you would rather it is extracted as root canal treatment can be expensive.
  • How dangerous is it to remove teeth at your age? Whilst healing is quicker with less complications in the under 40s . The risk of nerve damage at least is not significantly higher with increasing age.
  • options for replacement? well you might find you are happy with the gap and adapt well to it, so one option is no replacement. Implants can usually be done and a partial should still be possible even with out a rear tooth.
Hope this helps

Lincoln

I am 61 years old. My roots are tough. I was told I have cavitities and some decay below my bottom right gum line, one under a molar that already has a crown, and the wisdom tooth next to it. I don't want either of them pulled but was told the first tooth might be or will become infected. Is it possible to have a root canal or the cavities filled, on either or both of these teeth instead of removal? How dangerous it is to remove one or both rear teeth in someone my age. A few years ago, a dental surgeon told me, pulling wisdom teeth at my age might (and because of my roots) damage my nerves and might paralyze my mouth. For now, I have been assigned to a teaching program and have been assured that a professional will do the removals. An implant might be possible but a partial is not because there would be no rear mouth support. I would much prefer to save these teeth. Is there another option?

Back