• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Most likely in need of an extraction... scared

R

Routine

Today, the top of one of my molars on the left side of the mouth came off. I had a filling done on that tooth a few months ago, and while it occasionally hurt afterwards, I figured it wasn't anything serious, and I certainly wasn't expecting for the whole tooth to fall out!

It doesn't hurt, but what's left of it is totally black, so I'm 90% sure it's gonna have to go. And the thing is, I can handle all the other dental procedures, but not an extraction. The previous two times I had a tooth pulled, it was some of the worst pain in my life, despite them numbing me. Just thinking about it is enough to send me into a state of panic.

I mean, maybe I'm panicking prematurely, since I haven't been told yet that the tooth will have to be removed, but I just don't see other options here. I mean, I'm not a dentist, but it seems like the most obvious course of action. I don't really care about itself being removed, I just can't handle the procedure. I keep reading that an extraction should be painless, but they've never been for me? The extractions I had were agony. Am I just too sensitive?

On a positive note, though, it doesn't really have anything to do with the thread, but I just wanted to mention that I've got over my fear of dental injections. Yep. Totally fine with needles now.

hi I'm new here but have had a major dental phobian for about 30 years. This year I have had to start getting over it as in need of lots of treatment.
i had exactly this problem with a rogue tooth and left it...... Too scared....in the end after several,abcesses it needed to go. I WAS TERRIFIED about extraction but got iv sedation and was amazed. Had it done this morning, no anxiety thanks to drugs, just a little sore bu otherwise fine - totally amazed how easy it was and absolutely painless. i am a big scaredy cat. Now i am going to seek a bit of extra sedation help for other treatments, why stress when you don't have to.

good luck with finding a solution. It would be so great to have lovely teeth and minimal dental fear - the holy grail !

Today, the top of one of my molars on the left side of the mouth came off. I had a filling done on that tooth a few months ago, and while it occasionally hurt afterwards, I figured it wasn't anything serious, and I certainly wasn't expecting for the whole tooth to fall out!

It doesn't hurt, but what's left of it is totally black, so I'm 90% sure it's gonna have to go. And the thing is, I can handle all the other dental procedures, but not an extraction. The previous two times I had a tooth pulled, it was some of the worst pain in my life, despite them numbing me. Just thinking about it is enough to send me into a state of panic.

I mean, maybe I'm panicking prematurely, since I haven't been told yet that the tooth will have to be removed, but I just don't see other options here. I mean, I'm not a dentist, but it seems like the most obvious course of action. I don't really care about itself being removed, I just can't handle the procedure. I keep reading that an extraction should be painless, but they've never been for me? The extractions I had were agony. Am I just too sensitive?

On a positive note, though, it doesn't really have anything to do with the thread, but I just wanted to mention that I've got over my fear of dental injections. Yep. Totally fine with needles now.

I'd love to get IV sedation, but I've never seen it on offer around here. Maybe I just don't know what it's called in my first language, lol. But the only types of sedation I've seen are either general anesthesia (which isn't really an option) or laughing gas (which is pricy and not much more effective than benzos).

Hi There!
First of all, WELL DONE on conquering your fear of dental injections!! Not being afraid of the needle is HUGE!! I'd love to hear how you did it. That's one of the things that is so helpful about this forum - sharing new ways of dealing with issues we all face....which brings me to the other part of your post, the possible extraction.

I wanted to let you know you're not alone in that department! I too have a terrible fear of extractions due to bad experiences having previous teeth removed. It was painful and scary and left me unwilling to do it again, period. Unfortunately, I'm in a position where I have an abscessed tooth that needs extraction but perhaps you may be lucky and be able to get away with a root canal and crown. My suggestion would be (hard as this is) try not to panic, let a dentist take a look and evaluate the tooth first as it is often possible for dentists to save teeth that look like a loss to the untrained eye. If you do have to face an extraction, keep posting here and be patient - there are many lovely people who can offer you encouraging words as you summon the courage to do what you need to do. I'd recommend an oral surgeon and research IV sedation too. Hopefully you won't need either and your tooth can be saved. Thinking good thoughts for you!

Back