• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

my dentist has left and have to face a new dentist

S

sprite1984

i have suffered from dental anxiety ( as well as having general anxiety) since i had a bad experience at a dentist 7 years ago . i eventually plucked up the courage to see another dentist and she was lovely and really put me at my ease she then left the practice and i had another dentist who after several visits i trusted and managed to co-operate with dental treatment. well i have my routine check up on wednesday ( although i have broke part of a tooth off so think im going to need work doing) and have just found out that my dentist has left the practice and i am going to have yet another new dentist i feel like everytime i trust a dentist and my anxiety goes down they leave and i have to start from square one again and am feeling really anxious already about going . this will be my 3rd dentist in 4 years and i feel everytime i start to get somewhere and start to feel a little bit comfortable i have to start all over again with a new dentist

Hi sprite1984,

What you are describing is a known problem especially in big dental practices.
I suggest you search a smaller dental practice (preferably one dentist) and ask to be treated by the owner of the clinic. This is the best way to ensure stability.

Hi Sprite1984, Dr Daniel has given you very good advice. I had to find a new dentist after 22 years with a dentist I grew to trust. I was worried sick about it, and couldn't imagine ever being able to go to a different dentist. I did some research and chose one, but he was horrible. I didn't think I could try again, but I found this forum and some lovely people helped me to find one. He was perfect for me, and I was so thrilled to find a fantastic dentist so close to home (had travelled 70 mile round trip for 19 years to stay with the first one). However, after 3 visits he announced he was leaving. I was devastated! He moved to a practise 20 miles away to become a partner. I had the option of staying with the surgery, and a new dentist, but decided to travel to the dentist I had found as I knew he would stay at the new practise for a while, and I thought he was good enough to be worth the journey. No regrets at all for me. you sound like me, in that it's very mportant for you to be able to build up a relationship with your dentist. You've done very well so far, having had to see several dentists, so maybe a little more courage and you will find a long term dentist. Good luck!
:clover::clover::clover:

Back