• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

my fear is from my childhood need to find a dentist in AZ

40and fearful

My dental experience happened as a child in Germany. The dentist put wires in my tooth with no pain killer. i went home crying fell asleep crying. 4 years later a different dentist was so shocked it took 2 hours of surgery to take them out,lost the tooth. The first dentist was accused of abuse from the state. I then nearly over dosed from pain meds as I didn't want to goto the dentist, I got some phych help went got my teeth taken care of. Then had my wisdom tooth removed which caused an infection in my muscle which caused my teeth to lock up till my primary reconized it as an infection. I have not been to the dentisy in 15 years. My back tooth hurts and I need to find a dentist in arizona who will take on a true case of fear. Dont reply just to advertize I need a real persons experience. Thank you

Hello and welcome to the forum. Nobody on this site will reply to you in a bid to get work, it is all voluntary and the dentist that do come on here give their time free for nothing in return.

This forum is not here to scare you, we offer support and a listening ear, so to speak.

I am sorry you had such terrible treatment as a child, then later on with your wisdom teeth removal. A lot of us on here have been traumatised as children, I am 54 and I had terrible treatment as a child from some dentists here in England. I have also had my fair share of bad experiences as an adult too.

The way to find a dentist that is right for you is to have a look around, maybe email a few, explain how you feel and what your fears are. See what feed back you get then if there are any that you think you may be able to go and visit ring up and make an appointment. Treat the first visit as an interview, if you feel comfortable that you will be able to work with this dentist then you are good to go, if not find another one.
You need someone that will listen and is willing to work at a pace that is right for you, and will stop when you feel you need a break. You have to go at your own pace not theirs. If you feel a dentist has an understanding of how you feel and why, give them a try.

You will find that there are a lot of good understanding and considerate dentists out there, that are willing to help you get the treatment you need and to get you out of pain, without causing you pain.

Good luck, let us know how you get on.

If you just want to come on and rant or get things off your mind feel free, a lot of people come on here and through talking and taking time manage to visit a dentist. It has to be when you are ready and with a dentist you feel comfortable with.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

My dental experience happened as a child in Germany. The dentist put wires in my tooth with no pain killer. i went home crying fell asleep crying. 4 years later a different dentist was so shocked it took 2 hours of surgery to take them out,lost the tooth. The first dentist was accused of abuse from the state. I then nearly over dosed from pain meds as I didn't want to goto the dentist, I got some phych help went got my teeth taken care of. Then had my wisdom tooth removed which caused an infection in my muscle which caused my teeth to lock up till my primary reconized it as an infection. I have not been to the dentisy in 15 years. My back tooth hurts and I need to find a dentist in arizona who will take on a true case of fear. Dont reply just to advertize I need a real persons experience. Thank you

Hi to you,
I had the worst panic attack I have ever had three days ago at the dentist, only for a check up, but the receptionist was making a big mistake and it threw me out of kilter. I am still getting over it now. Terrible.

I was raped by the first ever dentist i saw, I was 5 years old. Still had my baby teeth but my mum had been a dental nurse and so was keen to take us. He told her to go and do some shopping, told the nurse to go and do some filing, stuck a gas mask (this was 1968) over my face and got on with it. Unfortunately I came round while he was still "at it" but naturally couldnt comprehend what he was doing to me. All I knew was my mum had warned me that I might have a bit of pain in my mouth. It wasnt my mouth that hurt. it was a bit further south than that that hurt a lot.

When he realised I was gaining conciousness he re-applied the gas mask, i remember fighting it, but he was much bigger than me and it was pointless. he forced me under again and did what he was doing. I could barely walk when I came out when mum collected me. No pain in my mouth at all. Pain in my groin like I have never experienced. i think his force actually dislocated my right hip, I still have problems with it. Raping a small child does a lot of damage, not just to soft tissue but to joints too.

So its no wonder I can panic in a dentists. I am just facing a £700 plus bill for some work. Do I trust them? Well i know that wont happen again. But nothing can mend what has been broken.

I sometimes wish i could just have all my teeth removed, not just the two which have to come out in January, all of them, and just have dentures and get all this over and done with forever.

Sorry if this is depressing, but that is my experience.

Oh, and I used to be a professional therapist, and have met two other women in 17 years of practice, who had also been abused by dentists when they were little kids too, so I know I am not the only one.

Samantha, Yorkshire, UK.

Back