• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

My story, so far. I took the first step.

That’s my front tooth

Attachments

• 0EA851C2-5456-46AE-8F5E-8A9AB334AE71.jpeg
    0EA851C2-5456-46AE-8F5E-8A9AB334AE71.jpeg
    162.5 KB · Views: 13
I have a holiday booked 13th July - 20th July.

Will the filling/restoration give me a lot of after pain.
On one hand I want to get it done so I can take pics on holiday, on the other hand I don’t want to be in pain whilst I’m away....

I don’t know what a filling feels like but I’m scared of the idea of a drill

You will be totally numb for the procedure so you should only feel vibration from the drill and depending on the type of drill, you may not even feel that. The drill also sprays water to keep the device cool. Honestly, the worst part about the drill is the noise and I always bring my headphones to distract myself which has helped me immensely! You should have very little to no pain afterward. If a filling is deep, you may experience some sensitivity for a couple of days afterward (typically much less pain than after an extraction) but usually there is no pain following a filling procedure except maybe a little soreness from the injection.

Ahhh I’ll phone on Monday to book in then. I’ve got this ??? I’ll take headphones, and cocodamol and ibuprofen before I get there.

Hopefully someone has cancelled and they can fit me in next week. My dentist only works Tuesday and Wednesday so not likely.

Thank you so much, I feel so much better knowing what will happen!

The first extraction the numbing injection didn’t hurt at all. The second time it was very very painful.

I’m so glad that I could put your mind at ease. Injection pain depends a lot on location and technique. I have also experienced completely painless injections and super painful ones that made me tear up. 9 times out of 10, they are painless though. I have had a lot of dental injections over the years (I have honestly lost count) and I can only recall 2 occasions where it was very painful.

I agree with kitkat now its about 9 times out of 10 it being painless but they aren't perfect so there are some that can feel just a bit more due to area or whatever reason. I think it really helps knowing the dentist knows you have this concern and fear and that he is doing the best to take it slow and do it painfree. of course having the topical is always helpful and thnk that is pretty standard. I did have one time that wasn't quite painfree with my recent dentist he tried but knew it was not perfect and actually apologized very nicely . as he is usually great with this.

My first injection ever with my current dentist was 100% pain free and I went into the second appointment with that expectation. For whatever reason, that second injection was very painful (the only time she’s ever given me a painful injection in 15 yrs) and it really took me by surprise so the rest of the appointment became a MAJOR struggle with my anxiety. I think that was the appointment where I was actually the most impressed with her because she had to be overly gentle and reassuring with me after that in order to make up for the injection and win me over again. She knew in that moment that she had lost me and I did not trust her. She also was not done injecting at the point she saw that I was in pain and stopped, so after taking a few minutes to recompose myself, she broke the news to me that we had to go right back into finishing the injection. Fortunately, she waited for the medication that was injected to numb the area first so I didn’t feel anything on round 2 but I was very stressed about it anyway. The good thing about that appointment was my dentist had a conversation with me to let me know that I was in control and that I could stop her at any time with a stop signal (that hadn’t occurred to me :confused:).

I really think topical is more of a placebo thing...the pain caused by the injection is not from the needle but from the tissues stretching as the local is pushed in and the topical won’t help with that...it can only numb the needle puncture which doesn’t hurt. The most painful injection that I have ever had was done with topical (for a root canal with an endodontist) and I’ve had countless painless injections without it. The trick is to inject slowly and slowly advance the needle as the tissues are numbed layer by layer. My dentist always offers me topical but I decline to use it.

Thank you for all your support and advice.

Now the swelling has gone down from my extraction I notice he’s left some tooth in two of the sites.

One of them is wobbly but completely covered by gum. The other is fully secured in my gum line. Should I try remove them myself or go back to the dentist and tell him he missed some?

Or should I leave it?

It could be bone shards. That happens sometimes. They will work themselves out. I would not disturb them and let the dentist look at them when you go back if they haven’t come out on their own.

Ahh I didn’t post my update and I just came back to update again!!

I phoned the dentists to book in for my front tooth (around 50% of it left, it’s shaped like an upside down L), I said to the dentist that I’ve a holiday coming up soon so could they please get me in soon so I can have time to recover before my holiday (I usually have pain for a few days after and I really want it done before I go. She shouted at me down the phone saying I don’t get to decide and she’ll book me in for whenever she can and wants to - she booked me for September!!

This kinda made me not want to go back if I’m honest, but usually the ladies on the front desk are really nice. So I phoned back again today, the normal lady I speak to answered and I explained about it being my front tooth. I have an appointment tomorrow at 12 :) she got me in immediately. She said that September is too far for a “new, nervous” patient because I’d be likely to build up anxiety and cancel >.<

Wow, was it the dentist who shouted at you or a different front desk employee? I would be nervous going back after this.

Lady at the front desk ? the second one was super nice though, I explained I’m a nervous patient who only just started going and she got me in almost immediately.

The first one was awful. Felt like cancelling altogether but I didn’t thankfully

You may want to make the dentist aware of your encounter with the first receptionist. If I was a dentist geared towards helping anxious patients, I would not tolerate someone like that representing my practice.

ahhyay..

So glad you called and got the 2nd one that time around.! I empathize with you, my previous dentist had a few really sweet kind receptionionst but one I dreaded would answer. she had a bit of a harshness to her . It definately doesn't help the dental anxiety to deal with harsh or unfriendly receptionist. This gal did end up getting a bit friendlier but glad I ended up leaving and not having to deal with her . I do think it helps to have kind , patient receptionists at the desk and on the phone.

Look everyone. I did it!!
I have a smile :)

5DD5057E-9AE6-40E0-BC75-73673D5090C6.jpeg

Side note - I never got given any aftercare information. Am I allowed to eat with this tooth or should I avoid biting down on it?

Feels weird at the moment, I have a bit of a lisp because I’m not used to the tooth being there but it’ll go soon when I’m used to it.

I told the dentist about the receptionist and he’s going to make sure I have “priority” patient wrote in my notes.

Thank you all. I still have some work left but he hasn’t actually told me what (I’m used to that now with this dentist ?)