• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

My story so far

CRG

CRG

Hi there, I found this place due to an impending visit to the dentist. Over the past 4 years i have had horific ordeals with my dentist here's my story. You will have to excuse my sketchy details.
A) I have had 2 Wisdom's extracted one of which was snapped in two and stitched alas i went back a year later with gum problems insiting i had a tooth under the gum, the dentist denied this and pretty much laughed, i insisted on an Xray which proved i had half a tooth embeded just above my Jaw line, this had to be cut out :(
b) A filling that had fallen out which led to Root canal that was done whilst i had a infected nerve which the dentist had documented as having been removed :( which later led to 3 sessions to fix, ...This tooth then snapped and had to be extracted.
I had a tooth in the upper right side of my mouth next to the back tooth, this was removed as it was infected and i refused Root Canal after the trauma of last time, Dentist informed me i had to have 7 fillings and 2 extractions, I had to be reffered to the anastetic clinic due to my anxiety i was in floods of tears and panic attacks.
I was admitted to the anastetic clinic who informed me i needed 4 fillings and 1 tooth out, they put me under anestetic but undersedated me and i was in agony, and a simple 20 min procedure turned into 55min of pure hell :shame:. I have never been so frightened of anything, the clinic did the 4 fillings but now my upper tooth (Its huge i cant rememebr the name) But it now stands on its own with no support has been giving me terrible pain for 1 month now im so petrefied it will have to come out, it has a hole in it and feels sore to touch.
I have had the most horrific time and the fear is keeping me a prisoner that i really dont want to be can anybody give advice please.
Ive been desperate to change dentist but cant change :shame:

Sorry to hear all this. It sounds totally horrific and I would suggest you complain about it all through the appropriate NHS channels, especially the undersedation. How can they learn from their mistakes if they are not told about them from the patient's point of view?

You are free to change your NHS dentist - you can go to one anywhere in the country there are no restrictions re where you live like for GPs.

I am sorry if you are restricted to NHS and can't go private (where it would be much easier to find competent and empathetic care) but there are some competent ones out there, look for someone with a bit of experience and not fresh out of University. It's hardly surprising that you would be afraid after experiences like that, anyone would be. What you experienced is not quality care.
Best wishes :grouphug: