• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

My wisdom teeth are growing in/discomfort

G

Former Member
Hi!

Ok, this is a little hard to explain, but I'm going to try because I'm REALLY wondering what is happening here!

I have 1 bottom wisdom tooth growing in on an angle, it has ust surfaced a little bit. I initially felt pain when it was coming through, but the pain felt like the skin was being punctured and it was minimal. However, I woke up on Wednesday morning and I couldn't open my mouth wide because I felt a strange pressure in my lower jaw right where that tooth is. The pain went away within a few hours, but ever since my entire lower jaw has felt sort of stiff.....almost like I can't relax it.....

I know I'm probably just paranoid, but I'm wondering if maybe my wisdom tooth hit a nerver or something?

I'm not in any pain right now, it's just uncomfortable!

Please respond with your opinions, I just started university and don't really have the time to go to the dentist if it isn't absolutely crucial!

Thanks!

It sounds like you have pericoronitis. What happens is that the wizzie has got half way into your mouth and got stuck. This leaves a convenient little gap for food and bacteria to get into and set off a nasty little infection, called pericoronitis.
It usually responds quickly to antibiotics and probably in the long term the wizzie should be removed.
You should try to get to the dentist to get it checked out. I've been to Uni, there's loads of free time to go to the dentist :)

Thank you so much for your opinion. I will definately see about getting to the dentist in a couple of days if things dont get better.

Back