• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Need advice on initial steps to take to visit dentists

  • Thread starter Thread starter Emstertron
  • Start date Start date
E

Emstertron

Junior member
Joined
Feb 16, 2010
Messages
1
Hello,

I'm new to this site/forum so apologies if I'm not posting in the correct place. I'm 28 years old and have not been to the dentists for 10 years. My teeth/gums are in a TERRIBLE state and are really starting to give me problems and pain. I've recently given birth to my first child and have decided that I must get this sorted out so that he grows up without fearing the dentist himself. My parents used to take my regularly when I was a child and I never had a problem going at all, but since my last visit things have changed for one reason or another and the thought of going to the dentists makes me physically sick and teary now. I often cover my mouth when I'm talking due to shame of my teeth have to leave the room if people discuss dentistry or adverts are on the TV. I'd much rather visit a dentist through the NHS, but if necessary will have to go private if that's the only way that I can be helped. Can anyone tell me where I would begin to find a dentist that will be able to help me? Do I need to visit my doctors first to see if there is anything she can help me with for the anxiety? Many thanks...
 
Welcome, you are among friends who understand here, we all have a fear of the dentist far in excess of what 'everyone else' has.

I can totally relate to how you avoid teeth or dentists, I was like that for over 25 years, but I have made headway and you know what, its getting easier with each visit. Comunicate with the dentist your REAL feelings don't hide them. The dentist may be brilliant at fixing teeth but they can't read your mind, you need to talk to them.

I have no idea where in the world you are but there are some recomendations here in this section of the forum:


Your doctor may be willing to prescribe something to calm you down to get you to the dentist as a start, but you need to ask them. I've had some anexiety therapy which has helped me enormously, I wasn't able to read this site without crying a few months ago and now I'm able to support others on here, that therapy was amazing.

You've made a big step in seeking out some help, thats a turning point for you. I promise you you can do this and you will feel so much better for it.
:XXLhug:
 
Welcome to the forum Emsterton.
As Robotguy said, you have taken the first step in resolving your dental journey.
You have a few options open to you for finding the right dentist. ie.....

if in the Uk, you can contact your PCT (primary care trust) at your local hospital, they will be able to tell you which dentists are available in your area.

Or have a look here......... https://www.nhs.uk/nhs-services/services-near-you/

You could also try emailing a few dentists in your area, explaining your concerns etc.

Good luck and please keep us posted.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Yes your GP can prescribe medication to relieve anxiety to enable you to go along to an appointment (all GPs should be willing to do this - it is nothing unusual) but it is better to find the right dentist and not just assume any dentist will do. Dentists can also prescribe these calming drugs but are sometimes reluctant to do so and suggest you get them off your GP instead since they know your full medical history.

More advice here:


You have complete choice of dentist if you opt for the private sector..in the NHS you can choose the practice assuming they are taking on NHS patients, but you have little control over who you see or how long they will stay at the practice unless you are treated by the practice owner.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top