• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

need cheering up :( Apicoectomy next week

L

loubyyy

basically next tuesday at 10am i have my apicoectomy and i'm beyond terrified!!! i can't even take an injection never mind that. what am i gonna dooo :cry:

Hi

Injections can be painless. The dentist can use a numbing gel on the gums which should numb everything up nicely before the anesthetic is given. Once the area is numb you will be fine and not experience any pain.

An Apicoectomy takes between 30-90 minutes depending upon which teeth are being done. From the patient's point of view they are not much different than a Root Canal. These usually heal up nicely in a few days to a week.

What about this causes you the most concern?

Blessings :)

I don't know what scares me about it.. it just really really terrifys me? the fact that they cut the gum.. although ive only been told its a small cut and i know i won't feel anything, i can't help being scared of it! the thought of it all makes me feel very faint!
and the length of time.. it's a front tooth so shouldn't take as long. but to me its going to seem like days :( =

Hi:

What most people fear is the unknown and worry that something bad will happen because the procedure is new.

I find it best to focus on all the positives.

You are saving the tooth, as these procedures will usually last a lifetime.
The procedure is proven and thousands of these are done everyday
The time of actual work is not long and is not much different than a Root Canal
Once this is done the tooth should never give you any further problems.
The incision is very small and gum tissue heals quickly

You will do great. The fear is causing you more pain and torment than the actual procedure.

I have also found that it helps to look at everything you will gain by having this done. Write a detailed list.

Hi :)
thanks thats actually a good idea!
made me feel slightly better about it. ill try and focus on the positives!
thanks for the advice :)

Just think of happy moments :) You shoud also face your fear ! Goodluck and you can make it!!

well i have no choice.. ill have to face it :) hopefully itll be ok!

Question: What is an Apicoectomy?

drummerswife - where the infection is chronic, the dentist opens the gum to expose the root and takes off the root tip, then uses compsite (i think!) to repair it. Thanks, Dr Google!

I thought it sounded scary but then I ran my finger over my gum where the roots are... they're not very deep in there, so I guess it would only be a little incision... Still wouldn't want to face it though...

bless you loubyyy, you'll be absolutely fine. Think about the last time you got a papercut licking an envelope and how quickly that healed, or when you last bit your cheek... You wont know anything different!

:XXLhug:

I really know your fear loubyyy. I have been there many times and I still suffer badly when it comes to having dental work done but what really helps me now is I absolutely refuse to let myself think about what is going to happen until I get to the dentist's for my procedure.

Of course in the weeks and days in the lead-up the mind wanders and wants to think those horrible thoughts but cut them off. Try and just focus on the moment and enjoy what is happening in your life now. The appointment is a week off and doesn't deserve any thoughts now!

I had a tooth removed last week and normally it would be 3 cancelled appointments before I got there. This time I didn't cancel and I absolutely refused to let myself think too much about it until the day arrived. I felt much calmer.

I wish you luck and a healthy tooth at the end of it!

Anna

Thanks Alley for that input. Still sounds very unpleasant.

Thanks for the advice and good luck i think ill need it!!
I've tried to take my mind off it.. but nothing seems to work!
i've never ever ever been this scared ever in my life i don't think :| all i can say is its going to be the longest day of my life! haa.
but hopefully itll be ok.. and by this time next week itll all be done and forgotten about! :)

will be forgotten about indeed! and we're all here for you so keep us posted? :)

I don't think many people here have done apioectemy so it will be nice to have your experiences on here! :thumbsup: just think - you get through this and not only will you be helping yourself get past yukky dentist stuff, you'll be helping the forum out too ;)

xx

Yeah well if i can get through this.. then i can get through all the other stuff! :) haha yeah.. i was asking before if anyone had been through it and no-one seemed to have :/
not long left now! ive never felt so sick with nerves ever! but im determined to do it and prove to myself i can :) thanks for the advice! i will post again if i get through tuesday alive haha!

you will! I will see you on here tuesday evening :) and then it will be all over and you can post amusing sedated messages for us! :) xx

Haha yup ill be able to laugh about it :) just needs to be over and done with now! x

Hi

The experience will be what you choose to make it. Our perceptions drive our beliefs and actions. I am not being harsh or critical. The terror you feel is real, but you are the one that is causing it. As long as you entertain feelings of dread the fear will grow. Let's look at the positive.

Dentists perform thousands of these procedures everyday. They are safe and a proven procedure, not experimental. The success rate is very high and they solve problems that would other wise result in tooth loss.

The procedure is not dangerous and be done with just LA. It is your best option to save the tooth.

There is not anything that will transpire that you cannot deal with. The LA will take care of any pain or discomfort. Healing is fairly quick. Ask yourself the following questions.

How much will it mean to you to save the tooth?
What do you gain by saving the tooth?
What is it about the procedure you fear?
What do you believe will happen?
What conditions do you need to change in your mind to drop the fear level?
How would a person that does not fear this procedure behave? What thoughts would they have? What view of this would they keep? How would they act? What is the difference between you and them?

The procedure would be the same for both of you. The difference is in the perception. If you want to achieve the results of a successful person, do what they do, percieve what they percieve. Success leaves clues.

The absolutely worse thing that can happen is you need to have the tooth extracted, less than 15% chance. The best is that the procedure works and the tooth is saved with no more problems 85-88% percent chance.

If you had an 85-88% chance of winning a bet, would you do it? Yes, I bet you would. Those are huge odds in you favor. If Las Vegas offered those odds, they would not be there they are way too good.

I believe in positive actions. Anxiety is best dealt with by looking at the situation for what it is and not through the fear. The fear does not have you best interest at heart. I t is like a monster that wants to be fed.

You can reduce your anxiety by changing your perceptions. You can be successful. Believe in yourself and your abilities.

Thats actually the best advice ive been given (and it calmed my nerves alot) you're right about the worst thing that could happen is that i could loose it.. especially seen as though its a front tooth!! :/
its made me realise that as bad as it seems now.. theres worse things in life and in the end worrying about it isnt worth it.. although i still will worry.. ill try save it for tuesday morning when im sat waiting in hospital!
:) think positive tiime...

Thanks. Since it is a front tooth the odds are a bit better, less root structure to fuss with. I would take these odds any day of the week.

I am confident you will be fine. In the worst case, if the tooth does need to come out, they can do wonderful things with cosmetic dentistry. Look at all the professional hockey players that have "kissed a puck." You would never know they ever had any damage.

Focus on the positive. Looking at the fear only makes you life miserable and does not change the situation. Positive focus also helps the body heal faster and improves overall function.

Back