• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Need dental work done and it feels impossible.. Need help.

M

Maximus S

Hello all, I'm not normally one for forums but I am kind of at my wits end here. Sorry if this seems a bit ranty, I'm just lost at the moment

I'm currently 17 years of age, and due to some poor dental hygiene (that I am not proud of) when I was younger, I am facing some pretty average dental work.

Here's the catch: I've had a sensitive gag reflex my ENTIRE life. Whether it be shirts that rub against my neck, the straps to my motorcross helmet, or my karate mouth guard, I CANNOT handle things in my mouth. Not only is it a very physical reflex, its HIGHLY psychological. When my reflex is triggered it TERRIFIES me, it is the absolute worst feeling imaginable and I will do anything to make it stop.

Due to it being psychological, even the mere thought of a dentist putting something in my mouth can trigger it, and trying to hold my mouth open also triggers it.

Because of this fear I've put off going to the dentist for sometime now, so I've scheduled a consultation/potential examination for this coming wednesday. Now, I'm already aware I'll need some work done.. fillings.. crowns maybe.. the problem is I do NOT think I will even be able to handle a simple examination without the use of drugs. I have found a dental center that offers IV sedation and am going to make it the main point of my consultation.

I guess I just feel alone because I don't fear the "normal" things people are afraid of when they go to a dentist, I am ONLY afraid of gagging, lol. I can't find anything anywhere about someone who suffers with the same fears I do, on the same level of severity I do, that's been able to get through it.

I also fear drugs not working properly, or working the way I need. What if nitrous oxide doesn't give me the effect required to get me through a simple examination? I fear that if I am conscious enough to understand what is going on my stubborn fear and anxiety will find a way to trigger my gag reflex.
Has anyone here with similar problems been under the effects of nitrous oxide? has it worked for you?

I don't even know what I'm asking for here, I guess I'm just ranting and looking for support, I probably sound ridiculous.

Hi,

Since your gag reflex is highly psychological (not only of course) I would suggest concentrating on that. IN other words: nitrous, sedatives and chemistry in general won't work. What you need is to find a dentist you can trust. Once basic trust is established, you will see a huge improvement with the gagging.
In order to manage the check-up, I would suggest making a panoramic X ray rather than the normal bite-wings X rays. Much more convenient and for starts should do.

All the best,
Daniel

My phobia is not quite as severe as yours, but the fear of gagging is at the top of my list of reasons why I hate going to the dentist. I have sat through short procedures without sedation and long procedures with conscious sedation and let me tell you, it makes a world of difference. I truly just did not care about what was going in inside of my mouth. I even left the dental chair thinking that I had conquered my fear and that I could sit through a regular appointment just fine. That's until I had to sit through an appointment without sedation when I noticed that it was completely nerve wracking and I was back to worrying that they would make me gag. The mouth is such a sensitive, personal area and it just doesn't feel right to have someone poking around in there.

Here's the catch: I've had a sensitive gag reflex my ENTIRE life. Whether it be shirts that rub against my neck, the straps to my motorcross helmet, or my karate mouth guard, I CANNOT handle things in my mouth. Not only is it a very physical reflex, its HIGHLY psychological. When my reflex is triggered it TERRIFIES me, it is the absolute worst feeling imaginable and I will do anything to make it stop.

Hi,

My suggestion would be to see a clinical psychologist about this issue. They should be able to work with you both in terms of finding ways to make it less likely for minor things to trigger your gag reflex, but also in terms of alleviating the terror you experience when your reflex is triggered. The aim would be to ensure that your reflex no longer interferes with your everyday life.

All the best for your visit today :grouphug:

Hi,

Since your gag reflex is highly psychological (not only of course) I would suggest concentrating on that. IN other words: nitrous, sedatives and chemistry in general won't work. What you need is to find a dentist you can trust. Once basic trust is established, you will see a huge improvement with the gagging.
In order to manage the check-up, I would suggest making a panoramic X ray rather than the normal bite-wings X rays. Much more convenient and for starts should do.

All the best,
Daniel

I also second this from Dr Daniel. I had to have impressions this year and which I always hated.. and took me 2-5 times to do it because I would always pull it out early.. well this year I had impressions from a dr I built trust with and he stayed in the room with me through it and helped to distract me, knowing I appreciated his humor he told me jokes throughout.. and actually I made it through and first time in my life did an impression first try!! I do think even with strong gag reflux fears and all, Dr Daniel you are right on with this too being doing it with dentist you trust does make a difference..

Back