• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Need some dental advice. Feeling a little bit concerned

V

val808

I am just wondering if dental plaque could cause my tongue to turn yellow? I haven’t been to a dentist in a while. I struggle with anxiety so I am feeling a little bit concerned about this.

I am also currently dealing with a sinus issue and a digestion issue.

Here are some pics of what I am talking about.

Attachments

• 64FBF490-A8EA-42F0-A0E1-627D7B143640.jpeg
    64FBF490-A8EA-42F0-A0E1-627D7B143640.jpeg
    354.2 KB · Views: 16
  • 36F2A0D6-6E24-4AC8-AC70-2492F053219E.jpeg
    36F2A0D6-6E24-4AC8-AC70-2492F053219E.jpeg
    201 KB · Views: 17
No, but your other issues could do it, hard to say from the information you've given about them. Have you tried brushing your tongue? You can buy fancy tongue scraper things or just use your toothbrush without paste.

I’m not a dentist, but I have awful sinus problems and when it flares up my tongue can get quite coated. I go to the dentist regularly and she has never mentioned it. I think it’s to do with mucus and post-nasal drip (sorry, that is gross!). I have a dedicated tongue brushing toothbrush I use on it, as well as my electric one for brushing my actual teeth. (It’s just a regular small toothbrush, from the children’s section.)

I second the recommendation to "brush" your tongue. You can get specific tools for it. Lots of conditions can cause a sudden coating of the tongue. It can be affected by what we eat and drink, too.

Oral candidiasis is one of the common causes of a sudden yellowing of the tongue. Also known as oral thrush, this is an overgrowth of the candida fungus in the mouth. Many humans have some candida in their mouths, but when they overgrow, this causes the yellowish coating. There are a few risk factors - mainly related to diet, denture wearing, any immune disorder, dry mouth, smoking, antibacterial use...it goes on! A common thing.

Whether it's candida or something else, a dentist could definitely clear it up for you. It's certainly not deadly! And brushing your tongue is a good habit to get into, whether you have tooth problems or not! ?

Back