• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Nervous about Facing Fears!

Hi,

The key thing in my view is that the dentist works patiently. Does not mean hat the extraction should take longer, just to work slowly and gently.
I talk about this in my video about fear of pain.

This applies especially for getting a pain-free injection. If the dentist invests 2 minutes in slow and gentle injection, that make a huge difference for the patient.

What a disaster. I couldn't even make it out of the car. I guess my mom had had enough and went into the office to tell the receptionist this because not to long after my mom left, the dentist came outside with her ( I thought this was odd). He then tried to talk calmly and speak some rational into my mind. Though the dentist was great and so extremely kind, I just couldn't do it. This was extremely embarrassing to me as I was crying like a child. It's funny how I really do want the procedure done so that the tooth doesn't hurt anymore, but I am so scared.
I don't know what to do any more. My mom is so upset at me. I fear if I don't muster any semblance of courage soon, she will make an appointment for me to be completely sedated. I really don't want that. I feel trapped and I regret telling my mom about my tooth.
By the way, Dr. Daniel, your videos have been amazingly helpful. I appreciate you are so dedicated to helping people out that you made an entire video series. Way to go! It really helps.
Also, thank you to EVERYONE for posting replies and helping. It means the world to me! Btw, the idea of stubbing a toe being worse than the injection helped me not to completely lose what was left of my sanity yesterday ?

By the way, Dr. Daniel, your videos have been amazingly helpful. I appreciate you are so dedicated to helping people out that you made an entire video series. Way to go! It really helps.
Thank you for your heart-warming words.
I am working on more. Hope you like them.

Really sorry to read this, BeachGirl. It sounds like there really is a lot of pressure resting on you, from you mom, from the bothering tooth and from the anxiety as such. In my experience the most complicated thing is that in order to get treatment as someone who is really really nervous, you need to push yourself towards something that you actually do not want and on some days the I-don't-want-part is just stronger.

What do you mean by 'couldn't do it' and how did the visit end? I was also wondering how are you and your mom doing now, have you had a chat about it again? Is there anything you believe would make it possible for you to get the treatment?

My mother did not make going to dental appointments easy when I was a teenager so I empathize with you BeachGirl. Is it possible for you to either go to the next appointment on your own or bring along another family member/friend for support?

Guess what?!?! I did it!!:grin:
I took some type of medicine before going to the office and that along with the dentist's kindness helped a lot! At first when I was called back, I wasn't at all ready. After I cried like a child and talked with the dental assistant, the dentist came in the room. He must have talked to me for a good 20 minutes to lessen my fears before starting anything. He was extremely patient and answered my nonsense questions.
When the dentist gave the shot, I hardly felt it. When I did feel it a little bit, the assistant quickly held my hand and that put me at ease. I thought I would see the needle when the dentist put it in, but he was excellent in seeing to it that I never saw it. After receiving the shot, I only felt a little bit of pressure once in a great while. When I did, the assistant would kindly hold my hand as she did before. The whole thing didn't take long at all. I was surprised at how awful my mind made up the situation to be when it was not nearly as bad as I thought. Thank you guys for the help

wow, you should be so incredibly proud of yourself!! To be held down as a young child and have dental work forced on you is an awful traumatic thing, so no wonder you have such fear of the dentist. It sounds like you've found a very caring dentist! It would probably be a good idea to see him regularly so you can continue having successful appointments and this will cause your fear to lessen over time. Thank you for the update- I love hearing success stories :)

:welldone::you-rock::grouphug: So happy for you Beachgirl. It sounds like a great start with this dentist too sounds very patient and caring and great chairside manner not to mention excellent anesthetic technique ... Great job you did making it in and through!!!

Back