• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Nervous vs Phobic (was: Re: Please find me a dentist)

G

ginnyliz

Hope I am in the right place for my question to post.................... and reply to the comment.....'there is a difference between being nervous or phobic'

Oh yes, there is a difference in my personal opinion!!

I hope to cut a long story short so as not to bore too many people.
I suffer with an intense phobia of the dentist. I am currently on the books of a very caring practise who have untold patience with me. My phobia is so strong that I have just finished a 10 month course of CBT........cognitive behavioural therapy to help with the problem. It works by drawing up a list of heirarchy starting at the bottom and working up to the 'biggy' at the end where you reach your goal....................in my case, getting dental treatment done.

I get nervous on other occasions, like attending interviews or events but nothing compares with the fear of even THINKING about the dentist!:scared:

My question:
Is there any hope of getting a GA for the dental treatment I need urgently ???
I have tried confronting the prospect of concious sedation but that IS NOT AN OPTION as the phobia is TOO strong to contemplate it !!!!

ANY HELP APPRECIATED.

ginnyliz

I'll only add my two cents worth of support for i/v sedation since I was as out of it with that than I was with GA, coulden't really tell a differance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back