• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

new dentist, phobia dentist retired, CEREC crowns, etc.

Z

zombiegroupie

Hello.

I used to be fairly active here, I had a serious dental phobia.

I met a great dentist and he was able to help me overcome it and I had a LOT of work done.

Recently he retired suddenly. It was really hard for me.

I went in for a cleaning and to see his replacement.

He is nice but definitely has a different approach.

I saw my old dentist in January and he said my teeth looked fine and he did reapply some silver diamine fluoride and told me to come back in 6 months.

Last week I went for my cleaning and then had a brief exam and the new dentist immediately told me I needed crowns on like 4 of my teeth with old fillings.

I just wonder if this is legit. Like how could they go so bad in 6 months?

I have had two CEREC crowns so far and I appreciate the technology (I have horrible panic trying to do impressions) but both of these newly crowned teeth (no root canals) are sore.

How long should I expect soreness? I'm afraid that I spent a ton of money and emotional energy having these crowns and that they'll always be sore and pain when chewing.

I have to have 3 more crowns, he says.

Hey ZG!! Good to see you again here. Sorry to here about your dentist retiring! I have had numerous crowns and none have been sore long term. Also, I might get a second opinion given how much work he thinks you need done.

Last week I went for my cleaning and then had a brief exam and the new dentist immediately told me I needed crowns on like 4 of my teeth with old fillings.

Sorry to hear that your lovely dentist retired. Finding a dentist and build some trust takes time and I can only imagine how hard it must be to start over. It would be amazing if his replacement fitted your needs, but please do not despair if that's not the case, there must be an another dentist somewhere out there who can offer you the same comfort as your old one.

Did the dentist explain to you the exact medical reasons for you to need crowns? Are the fillings not ok anymore? Do they cover such a big part of the tooth that the tooth gets unstable if not supported by a crown? Do they have cracks?

I would go for a second opinion if I were in your shoes. It's strange for things to change so much after 6 months if you saw your dentist regularly and had cleanings before. I also wouldn't agree to do any work if I wouldn't feel 100% comfortable with a dentist, after all it's all about trust and you might need a bit of time.

Back