• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

New fillings look pale grey, not silver?

  • Thread starter Thread starter jen.louise
  • Start date Start date
J

jen.louise

Junior member
Joined
Apr 25, 2013
Messages
8
Location
West Midlands, UK
I had two fillings today in my lower left molars, I know they are amalgam fillings, but when I looked at them in the mirror I was surprised to see that they are pale grey in colour, not silver like I expected. The colour they are now is actually great, it's not that obvious really. Will they stay this colour, or will they go dark/silver?

Also, she said both cavities were very deep which surprised me a little because I've never had any pain from them. Is this common? I thought deep cavities would be painful.

I guess the important thing is that I faced my fear, got them done, and I survived!
 
Well done you. They get more silvery after a while in the mouth, as the alloy matures. The old amalgams had a lot more silver in them and went black after a while, the new alloys don't do that.
 
Back
Top