• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

New here and so nervous about next Monday

A

Adanaca

Hi all. I'm 57 and having my four front bottom teeth pulled on Monday. When the gums heal, I will get a partial denture made up in the next month or two.

My natural teeth are fairly healthy, but my gums not so much. Have always had problems with tartar build-up behind my bottom two front teeth, with the result of severe bone loss there. There is a large space between these teeth as the teeth are tiny (like matchsticks). One is so loose that you can see it move if I touch it with my finger.

I was mentally prepared for losing two teeth, but my dentist says that there is also bone loss in the teeth beside them and recommends they be pulled as well. He says it will save having to add more teeth to the partial in a couple of years and it will also be easier to create the partial denture now, since I want to eliminate that ugly space. He says with a four tooth partial denture, it will allow them to make it more cosmetically nice to look at.

Anyone else have a lower partial for the 4 front teeth? I'm getting the metal type, with clasps. Was it easy to tolerate? I am so worried that I won't be able to wear the thing and will regret just not staying with my natural teeth. :cry:

I just wanted to send you a hug :friends: I hope everything works out well and you are happy with the results of your partial dentures.

Well, teeth are out. Visit went very well - my dentist is very good with going slowly and explaining what he is doing as he works. Put the numbing gel on before he did the freezing needles... that didn't even hurt. I needed about 12 stitches, but he said everything looks great.

Have taken a painkiller and plan to just veg out this afternoon.

To those planning on getting teeth extracted - if I can do this, anyone can! I am always anxious and nervous and worry about things before they happen. So far, this has actually been easier than I imagined.

Now I have the hockey player look for the next two months, until I get my partial. ;)

PS: I did leave imprints of my hands on the chair arms, I was squeezing so tight.

Last edited:
Well done Adanaca, :jump::jump:
I too have had multiple teeth out using numbing gel then injections, numbing gel is fab stuff but mine was bubble gum not sure I will tolerate the smell without association now :giggle:.
Keep up with the painkillers then you will stay pain free
isnt it so quick to remove teeth and painfree?!
hope your healing goes well, please stay in touch let us know how you are getting on.:)
D.J:whirl:

24 hours after extractions. Completely pain free - maybe because of the naproxen?

It has made me realize that I was in constant discomfort from the moving teeth. Now that they are gone, it feels so much better.

Will continue with the naproxen for today and stick to soft foods for this week. I am so relieved that the worst part of this journey is over! :)

Well done on getting them removed x I to had/have bone loss. 2 more teeth to go, until all gone. We can do this...( hugs)

I'm so glad to hear that everything worked out!!! ;)

Well, it has been over three months since I first posted on the forum and yesterday I took delivery of my new partial lower plate. It replaces four bottom front teeth and one molar.

I love it! My denturist did a great job in matching the colour of my existing teeth and you can only see the wires if I open my mouth huge. Fits well, easy to put in and take out, but doesn't move around at all. No discomfort. :)

For those of you contemplating getting your front teeth pulled and a partial lower denture, please know that it can really go well.

Here is my "after" photo...

Linda Teeth 2.jpg

Adanca, you look wonderful! Thanks for sharing your story. :)

Lovely to hear such a wonderfully positive story. So glad it worked out well for you:)

Well done, they look fab xx

That looks fantastic! I wasn't a member of this forum when you posted your original story, but I'm glad you posted an update and I got a chance to get caught up. Your teeth look great! So happy everything worked out for you :)

You said there's no discomfort...but did it take some time for your mouth to get used to the new teeth? Did it feel strange at first? I'm curious how it went initially. Congratulations on having the courage to get the work done and coming through the other side :) Your confidence with the new teeth shows.

Chewing is still a bit of an adventure, since I find if I chew on the right side as I normally did the denture shifts a bit. So I am moving the food over to the left side with my tongue and then I can chew fine. After three months with no bottom teeth, my tongue feels a bit crowded and wants to play with the metal bar, but I am sure that will go away in time. My biggest worry was that I wouldn't be able to tolerate or wear them at all and that isn't an issue. Big smile! ;D

Kind of like when you first get new glasses. It feels strange, but in time you don't even notice them.

Yeah, any big change in your body takes time for you to get used to. I had never really thought about how dentures wouldn't feel exactly like your real teeth until recently so I did some reading about others' experiences. Again, very glad everything worked out for you, like you said I'm sure you'll get more and more used to the denture until it feels natural.