S
sheepgirl
Junior member
- Joined
- Aug 4, 2007
- Messages
- 3
Hi im new here. I have emetophobia - which is the fear or myself or other people being sick. As a result I have avoided dental work for the last 8 years because I am worried that dental work may make me sick during the procedure. I went through a period of depression where I didint brush my teeth - and as a result I have 6 cavities in my front teeth and 3 at the bac. I was very brave and went to a dentist who refered me to a sedation clinic. My appointment is on the 16th and im starting to worry about it. Its 30 mins from home so will have the journey back home to contend with (I worry because I may be more prone to motion sickness after the sedation and will feel out of it. Im being sedated by IV drip (injection) and having 1 tooth extracted. If it goes well then I'l have the rest of the work done under another 2 or 3 sedations. Im really scared about how im going to feel during the treatment and afterawrds. Aparently you dont remember much about the procedure and it makes you feel very sleepy and drunk. Im really scared that afterwards im going to be sick and have no sense of control over my body and feelings. Im worried that i wont recognise if I feel sick and it will happen out of the blue in the car home or I'l wake up from sleeping and be sick.
Im really scared. The main things im worried about are
feeling sick afterwards
the journey home - will I be more likely to get motion sickness?
the recovery - what will I feel like afterwards, will it be safe to eat? when will I start feeling back to normal?
I cant eat or drink anything 4 hours before - but im going to stop eating 5 hours before, and have sips of water, and take my anti-sickness tablets 4 hours before. So that should re-assure me. But it doesnt at the moment.
Urgh. PANIC!!!!
Sorry just relaly need to vent. I dont have anyone around to reassure me that it will be ok.
Im really scared. The main things im worried about are
feeling sick afterwards
the journey home - will I be more likely to get motion sickness?
the recovery - what will I feel like afterwards, will it be safe to eat? when will I start feeling back to normal?
I cant eat or drink anything 4 hours before - but im going to stop eating 5 hours before, and have sips of water, and take my anti-sickness tablets 4 hours before. So that should re-assure me. But it doesnt at the moment.
Urgh. PANIC!!!!
Sorry just relaly need to vent. I dont have anyone around to reassure me that it will be ok.
In my IV, they used a drug called Versed and it didn't make me sick at all. I only remember them asking me to open my mouth a few times, and I also remember that I kept trying to bring my hand up to my face to scratch my nose. I guess the drug makes your nose itchy! But every time I did that, someone would gently put my hand back down on the armrest of the chair. It was the arm that had the IV in it, so I was a little sore there afterwards from trying to move it so much.

![Group Hug [smiley=grouphug.gif] [smiley=grouphug.gif]](/forum/styles/default/xenforo/smilies/dfcsmilies/grouphug.gif)
I'm so glad to hear that you had a good experience. It really is a confidence booster, isn't it? Now that you've been through it and you know what to expect, it should be even easier for your next appointment. Congrats!