• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

New Here- My story

  • Thread starter Thread starter Davee
  • Start date Start date
D

Davee

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 20, 2013
Messages
138
I have been afraid of dentists since I had a bad experience as a kid. I had my two teeth damaged by a bully in school. I needed a root canal when I was 11. The oral surgeon did not like it when I cried in fear when he brought out a scapal. So he put his hands over my mouth and nose and told me "If you want to breathe you will be quiet and be a big girl". He did a horrible job (drunk?) and my whole mouth became infected as he had cut the gum on most of my front arch.

Years later my root canal failed and was redone. It failed again and I was told I had a large cyst that needed to be removed. I always loved to brush my teeth, but since I never had routine cleanings I had gum disease. No worries my new dentist said. A deep cleaning and you will be fine.

But I wasn't fine. He could never get my front flipper (partial) to fit due to my overbite. So he shaved down my bottom teeth. Next he told me he needed to have my lower teeth shortened and crowned to make room for the front teeth implants that were planned after my bone graft and healing.

I wanted to see an orthodontist as I thought it would be good to fix the bite and not grind down healthy teeth. "Very expensive" the dentist said. The orthodontist told me I would have room for the imlants and not need my teeth shortened even without braces. So I started not to trust my dentist.

A few days ago two of my old fillings broke due to my new habit of clenching my teeth. I never did this before but the pain from the ill fitting flipper and lack of trust of my dentist really wore on my nerves. I had such a bad feeling that the dentist would say I needed root canals (even though my x-rays showed no cavities) that I went to another dentist today. He filled my broken cavities with white ones. He was very nice.

He was also very thorough. He took complete x-rays and told me I still had active gum disease. Gum pockets of 4 and 5 around my molars. He showed me on the x-rays all the plaque that was not removed from last month's deep cleaning. He said it was "basic dentistry" to clean your teeth completely. In fact he felt so bad for me he had the hygenist do a deep cleaning on my bottom arch without charge. My other dentist charged me $500 for this.

So here I sit with new fillings and a sense of hope and dread. My insurance maxed out at 1K and it has cost me $4500 for the recent work. My new dentist said "I wish I had seen you before your front teeth were removed". I wish I had too.

I am going back to my new dentist in a week for a deep cleaning on my top arch next week. I may not be able to get braces due to my 1 to 2mm bone loss. Either way I have to wait until I get the gum disease under control. I am kind of crushed right now as I thought my gum disease was under control. The orthodontist measured my pockets at 2 to 3mm. But I know when I saw the x-rays that my new dentist was correct as he measured between my teeth. The orthodontist just measured front and back.

With all the bad stuff that seems to have occurred I worry that new fillings will have problems. I think I may be getting paranoid. But maybe I was not paranoid enough as I should have gotten a second opinion before I let the other dentist shave my teeth.

Anyways.....thanks for reading.
 
:welcome: to the forum.

Sorry to read that you had a terrible time with your old dentist. But good news that your new dentist seems to have an interest in getting you back to oral health.

Thank you for sharing your story with us, let us know how you get on with the rest of your treatment.

All the best to you :butterfly:
 
WOW!! That sure is a horror story!! But so glad to hear about your new dentist!
What I don't understand was the root canal failing? Do you mean it got infected, or he didn't pull out the entire root?

To my understanding the root is removed... gone... and there's no sensation in the tooth anymore. So if you had one that failed... twice? I'm guessing it wasn't even done right the first time. UGH!!

Anyway, now you sound like you have a great new dentist and you are back in good hands!! Chin up! Look to the positive now.
 
45andAfraid- The root canal was diagnosed as failed due to the infection above the tooth on my gum. Hope that answers your question. I should have had the gum pulled back and cleaned at that point I suspect. Instead they gave me a repeat root canal through the crown, which did not work and let the infection spread to the other two teeth.

The good news for today is that my new fillings do not hurt. I was expecting something to go bad there. lol I really worried about this because every thing I googled about broken fillings stated I would need root canals. But they are good today without any bite issues so far.

I have found that being afraid of the dentist pales in comparision to the fear of losing my teeth. I just hope that my new dentist is as good as he seems. At least I think his heart is in the right place and he wants to help me. I felt a little hopeful when he said "you have an active infection (gum disease) but it's fixable".
 
I wonder if things happen for a reason. I felt really pushed and pulled to get my fillings done by my new dentist. I had searched (stalked) his site and reviews for weeks. I just knew I needed to get this taken care of now and not be misdirected to uneccesary root canals that would take time and money.

Today a family member died and I will need to go out of state. I am devastated. I know I would be a wreck if I could not comfort my family due to extreme dental pain which I was experiencing when my fillings broke. I think it was meant to be that my new dentist could see me and fix me immediately. I am truly grateful today.
 
Sorry to hear about your loss....I'm glad you got your fillings done and can go without worry...My condolences to you and your family...
 
I wonder if things happen for a reason.

I think it happened because you made it happen. You did research and found a good dentist. There are some really good ones out there who cares about your wellbeing as well as your teeth, and are technically good.

Sometimes dentistry is like a miracle, sometimes they do small things to just a few teeth, and it makes a huge difference for the patient. I think some dentists aren't aware of this, but they should skip and jump about singing "I can make people really happy!" At least once a day;).

I wish you all the best in the future!
 
Back
Top