• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

New here need advice

J

JT13

Hi im new here havent been to dentist in some years and i need some serious work done due to neglect because os serious depression. The problem i have isnt the dentist or the equipment persay its the fact that i dont like things coming near my face and not just the tools anything really i go into a panic attack and get violent if i feel thretened even if thats not the intention but i need to get the work done but nothing short of knocking me out will work but i have no idea if thats at all possible or where id find somone willing to without paying for it as id never be able to afford it. Oh and i live in scotland also sorry for long 1st post but i feel i have no other place to turn thanks.

Hi and Welcome!

You've come to the right place...many of us can't even consider letting a dentist, assistant, hygienist etc. come near us OR our mouths without being medicated, myself included!

I don't know specifics about how your dental care system works in Scotland, but from what I have read on this site, there ARE ways to get the help you need with sedation. Hopefully someone who knows how will hop on and "post" you in the right direction. It looks like you have many, many doctors over there with a particular interest in treating frightened patients so you may be in the perfect place for treatment.

If you can, maybe spend a little time looking around the site and reading some of the posts. Perhaps you'll find some info you can use...AND...realize you are in very good company here!

Thanks glad im not alone and in the right place its just so embarassing not being able to even go near a dentist office without freeking out just hope somone on here can help.

:welcome:

Glad you are finding the Forum helpful. It's a good place as nobody judges anybody else, we are mostly in a similar boat!

It sounds like you would be better off with IV sedation or a referral to a hospital to have work done under a GA. I think the first step would be to get in touch with a sympathetic dentist who you can talk to away from the surgery. I guess you would be looking at an NHS practice as that's going to be the best from a money point of view. Not sure what the situation is NHS practice wise in Scotland but I think there are still good NHS contracted dentists in Scotland. Might be worth trying the NHS Choices website as they have a facility to search on postcode.

It's never easy dealing with Panic Attacks but you sound determined to get things sorted so much respect:respect:

Good luck with your dentistry journey, it would be great if you could keep us posted as it helps to encourage everyone.

Kind Regards

Hi JT13, welcome! You're certainly not alone, there are lots of posters on here who have been in your position.

Re finding help in Scotland:

It sounds like you would be better off with IV sedation or a referral to a hospital to have work done under a GA. I think the first step would be to get in touch with a sympathetic dentist who you can talk to away from the surgery. I guess you would be looking at an NHS practice as that's going to be the best from a money point of view. Not sure what the situation is NHS practice wise in Scotland but I think there are still good NHS contracted dentists in Scotland. Might be worth trying the NHS Choices website as they have a facility to search on postcode.

Spike is spot on here.

The good news is, it's generally not too difficult to get an NHS dentist in Scotland, the situation in Scotland seems to be better than it is in some parts of England where you hear tales of long waiting lists just to get an NHS appointment at all, and there are definitely some good ones out there. Not sure exactly where you are, but you'll find a few NHS dentists over in the Scotland section of the Dentist Reviews & Recommendations section of the forum so hopefully there might be someone in your area.

I would recommend you ring round a few NHS practises in your area and talk to them, explain the problem and see how they respond - this will give you an idea of whether they might be the one for you.

You may be able to get a referral to one of the dental hospitals for help, and they can certainly do IV sedation on the NHS and will even use general anaesthetic in certain circumstances - I know the dental hospital in Glasgow has a clinic for anxious patients, for example, although I think there is a waiting list. First step is to sign up with a local NHS dentist that you feel comfortable with, and ask them about a referral.

Thanks all il certinly try all of your suggestions and and ask around i live in Fife and i know theres a few dentists in dunfermline just plucking up the courage to speak to them but thanks for the support it meens alot and il deffinetly keep you all posted.

I sent you a private message with some Scotland specific advice. :)

Thanks all il certinly try all of your suggestions and and ask around i live in Fife and i know theres a few dentists in dunfermline just plucking up the courage to speak to them but thanks for the support it meens alot and il deffinetly keep you all posted.

Good luck in your search! You'll find plenty of support here whenever you need it.

Back