• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Newbie, PLEASE HELP!! Not sure if I should be worried

K

Karenjeff1581

So I just had a consultation with a dentist that works with anxiety patients but I am still worried. I haven't been to a dentist in almost 20 years. I have severe gum loss on my bottom front teeth, like almost gone, and I am concerned since my first xray and cleaning isn't for two weeks. Should I be worried about waiting if these teeth aren't loose and I still have some gum coverage behind these teeth?

Last edited:
I'm not a dentist, but it seems that nothing drastic should happen in 2 weeks that hasn't happened in 20 yrs. decay and gum disease tend to progress slowly over a long period of time. I'm sure you just want to get the x-rays and have the cleaning ASAP, but I really do think 2 weeks will not make a difference in the outcome. Best of luck to you and please let us know how it goes.

Thanks for the comment. I am also keeping a journal in that section in hopes it will help ease my anxiety. I am so glad I found this sight and am glad to see all the support.

As FearfulInMA said, periodontal disease does not happen overnight, it is a slowly progressive disease (except in rare exceptions). Based on what you said, the gum recession and bone loss has occurred over a long period of time, since you have not been to a dentist in 20 years. I would not be worried about the two weeks before your next appointment.

Back