• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Not dealing well post extraction

C

Ccbloom

Hi everyone,

TW: details of extraction, possibly triggering for those who are squeamish.

Sorry for the long post to come. I posted last week about an abscess I had on my last molar (before the wisdom). I had had lots done to try and save the tooth, including the first part of a root canal, but in the end the dentist told me that it needed to be extracted.

I was feeling weirdly brave by this point so I went in at 3pm on Friday afternoon to have it done. She struggled to get me numb to begin with (never ever had this problem) usually I go numb with one injection and I’m good to go. Not sure how many injections I ended up having in the end, but I asked for them the whole way through. She cracked off the crown after about 20 mins of much force. Next thing I know there is a senior dentist rushing in and more dental nurses. He said the tooth was now cracked to the roots and it took him over an hour to get it all out. I could feel pain throughout. I kept telling them and getting more anaesthesia, but by this time the poor (first) dentist’s hands were visibly shaking putting it in. I felt so so unsafe, all I wanted was to eliminate the ongoing infection though, and I didn’t want to stop halfway. Maybe that was a silly thing to do. I am not sure how I managed it.

I am 48 hours post extraction now. I have have mega pain, my jaw is really swollen too. My extraction site was looking weird earlier with a sort of grey film over the top, then I tried to exercise my jaw a bit and I have a big red clot again which was oozing a little, so I guess I don’t have dry socket! Still in pain but taking ibuprofen.

Mentally I am really, really struggling. I don’t know if this sounds dramatic but I’m really traumatised, and all my hard work (and hard work of my previous dentist) to get me comfortable with treatment again I feel has been ruined. I am not angry as I feel the poor lady was right out of her depth, and we all have to start somewhere and have these experiences, but I feel very very upset about it and can’t stop crying. I am dreading going to work tomorrow as I’m worried about pain and also about dislodging the clot by accident if I’m preoccupied with work. Especially since I just disturbed the new tissue over it.

Can anyone give me some advice on how to process such a thing? And also some advice on the physical healing would be great too please. I’ve never had a site that healed then broke off again! Terrified I’m back at square one and will get dry socket or start bleeding again.

First off, sorry you had such a poor experience. It's very frustrating for the dental staff involved too, not that I think that'll make you feel any better about it :(

Have you read through our guide for post extraction care? https://www.dentalfearcentral.org/faq/healing/

CCbloom,

Not a dentist but glad you got an answer from @Gordon .. and just reading it sounds so physically and emotionally draining. I really hope the pain lets up for you soon . I also hope you can get some rest. I'm so sorry you had to go through that..

First off, sorry you had such a poor experience. It's very frustrating for the dental staff involved too, not that I think that'll make you feel any better about it :(

Have you read through our guide for post extraction care? https://www.dentalfearcentral.org/faq/healing/

Gordon, thank you. Yes I think I’ve read it ten times now, haha! I’m doing everything as directed. I think the swelling has gone down minimally, still in quite a bit of pain but I think that’s to be expected.

I did feel bad for the dental staff, and the senior dentist handled it really well and was super lovely, but I was well in by that point!

I did have to take the day off work today, and have been mostly in bed feeling terrible. Tomorrow is another day and hopefully the pain lets up.

CCbloom,

Not a dentist but glad you got an answer from @Gordon .. and just reading it sounds so physically and emotionally draining. I really hope the pain lets up for you soon . I also hope you can get some rest. I'm so sorry you had to go through that..

kr thank you very much. Yes very draining in all ways, I honestly don’t know how I lay and got through it all! I managed to take a day off work today and have been in bed all weekend and mostly all of today. Have to be back in tomorrow though so really hoping the pain eases up.

Wondering if I can ask a quick question please!

It’s now 76 hours since my extraction. I realise it was a big trauma to my mouth and jaw, but I’m still in loads of pain! It hasn’t really changed much in its levels, maybe taking painkillers less frequently but when it does come on it really is sore. It is helped with painkillers though.

In my heightened state of anxiety I just called NHS24 to have a look at it (I really can’t take more time off work and in pain) but they couldn’t see me. However she said she thought it sounded like dry socket...

Until yesterday I could still see the clot, but today it’s shrunk and there is a lot of white stuff covering. It is a huge hole It does have a weird taste, but I’m sure I remember the same taste from another tooth I had extracted years ago.

Sorry for rambling, I’m just desperate to be out of pain. It’s been 4 weeks since the start of the abscess and I haven’t been pain free yet :confused: can the pain last longer with a traumatic extraction?

It does sound like dry socket, sorry. Given you've had a difficult extraction in the lower arch, you're at quite high risk of developing one. The good news is that treatment for dry socket is fairly painless and effective.

It does sound like dry socket, sorry. Given you've had a difficult extraction in the lower arch, you're at quite high risk of developing one. The good news is that treatment for dry socket is fairly painless and effective.

Thanks Gordon, appreciate you replying. Even though the pain is helped with painkillers? I couldn’t get an appointment today so I’m in the same situation as yesterday! The pain is possibly a bit less.

A couple of photos, really hard to get a good shot so not sure they’ll help. Thought I would post anyway.

Attachments

• 8C4F4583-4838-48CC-A3CD-A8970E7631CB.jpeg
    8C4F4583-4838-48CC-A3CD-A8970E7631CB.jpeg
    602.6 KB · Views: 31
  • 9F322D47-14BA-49E9-A859-4225F65612D0.jpeg
    9F322D47-14BA-49E9-A859-4225F65612D0.jpeg
    307.5 KB · Views: 28
Dry sockets eventually get better on their own, but most people get help before that! From the photos it does look a bit dry socket like.

Thanks Gordon. I have an appointment for tomorrow evening now, so hopefully get some relief. It does look like it’s healing up!

Thank you so much to everyone who has replied and helped me during this!

It is indeed dry socket. I am packed up stinking of cloves and also have antibiotics. Fingers crossed for pain free days and solid food in my future :magicwand:

Back