• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Onlay question

  • Thread starter Thread starter DonnaP
  • Start date Start date
D

DonnaP

Junior member
Joined
Jul 9, 2018
Messages
3
I recently changed dentists as I had been having some bad experiences previously with not being numbed correctly. I have now found somewhere who seem to be good.

My new dentist identified some decay under an onlay on a back top molar that was 10 years old. He removed it and recommended a white filling.

The cavity was very large and one of the cusps (think that's what they are called!) was missing, hence why my old dentist recommended an onlay.

He said he also built the tooth up as much as possible to give it support. He was concerned how near the nerve he had to work and said it might cause some problems that would result in another root canal (I have had one with him that has been successful so far).

Since then the tooth is fine to eat on. No pain. I have no sensitivity. But, it feels like there is not enough tooth there. Towards the end of the day, the tooth has an achy feel. No pain, but it just doesn't feel supported.

I am not sure why the dentist didn't replace the onlay with another onlay but I get the impression he wasn't keen on them for some reason. He said the new white fillings should be ok as they are very strong, but if not, then he would recommend a crown. My mind went blank and I didn't ask about the onlay. I just trusted his advice that the filling would be sufficient.

It was November when the filling was done and I am due for a check up in April, so I will obviously ask him then, but just wondered if anyone has any thought as to why he would switch an onlay for a filling? And whether anything else could be done with this tooth?

Thanks in advance
 
Pure guess, but maybe he wasn't comfortable doing an expensive onlay if he thought that the tooth could blow up and he'd need to destroy it to go back in to do an endo?
 
Back
Top