• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Pain 2 weeks after root canal and round of antibiotics

  • Thread starter Thread starter rebeccauk
  • Start date Start date
R

rebeccauk

Member
Joined
Oct 6, 2011
Messages
32
Location
United Kingdom
I posted on here prior to my root canal on one of my front lower incisors. Since then, my dentist did a root canal 2 weeks ago....He was sure that if I got any pain it would settle by last weekend. At first after the anasthetic wore off I was in heaven - the tooth had no pain and I could finally eat on it! This went on for 4 days, then by the Friday I was getting a throbbing type pain deep in the gum. It was late on Friday night when it became stronger pain and more uncomfortable and I felt like I may faint so I called an emergency dentist and after a super-quick examination he guessed that I had a minor infection of the gum and prescribed amoxycillin. After a few days the pain subsided and all was good for the 7 days I was taking the amoxycillin. They ran out on Saturday just gone and at first I was pain free but today the nagging, throbbing pain is coming back.....not as strong as last time...or not yet anyway but it does feel like the same pain. It is not excruciating but not comfortable and does not go away with painkillers. Could this be an infection coming back or something more sinister? I am so scared now. I am due back at the dentist for the finishing off of the root canal on 9th November (that was his first appointment) so have a while to wait til then. I sincerely think that the dentist does not believe me or thinks I am over-reacting with this as he was reluctant to root canal in the first place as the xrays of my tooth came back clear - he maybe thinks that I am imagining the pain and I am starting to believe this myself!!!

It is a throbbing uncomfortable dull ache in my gum and the tooth itself almost feels loose. Can anyone advise? I am so scared of returning to the dentist now as everytjing I do it seems to cause me more pain.*:'(
 
Hi rebeccauk,

It sounds like you have a few bugs still lurking in your root canal. Hopefully, your dentist will be able to eliminate them by giving it a thorough cleaning out at your next appointment. Do tell him about the trouble you have had so that he is fully aware of what is required.
It is very depressing when pain keeps returning, but hopefully the situation can be resolved. It does not sound like anything more sinister that a stubborn infection.

Hope it settles soon.

Lincoln
 
Five years later and I return to my post. I am pleased to report that the pain did subside and the root canal settled down perfectly. The tooth is now like any other with no pain whatsoever and I am very pleased with it.
 
Glad to hear. Going through same thing with a back molar. Hoping mine will settle too.
 
Five years later and I return to my post. I am pleased to report that the pain did subside and the root canal settled down perfectly. The tooth is now like any other with no pain whatsoever and I am very pleased with it.

Did any other work need to be done in order to have the pain subside? I mean, was the pain normal and just went away, or was it a return of the infection?

I got a root canal 2 weeks ago (bottom molar) and got a temporary filling. About a week after the procedure I had intermittent throbbing pain, a metallic taste on the tooth, and severe pressure sensitivity.

I contacted my endodontist and he prescribed a week of amoxicillin. I took that and everything but the metallic taste went away while I was on it.

I ended that 3 days ago, and starting today, everything returned, albeit not as severe (yet).

Im going to my general dentist for a temporary crown tomorrow, but with everything returning, I'm worried I have an infection or something that is going to complicate everything.

It seems like you had something similar happen, so any info you have would be really appreciated.
 
I would advise not to let the general dentist prep the tooth for a crown until you are sure the tooth has settled. Assuming you are talking about the same tooth.
 
Back
Top