• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

post root canal pain going on 2 weeks!

J

Janeteaston

Hello:

New to this forum, but eager to hear others thoughts on my issue. I had a root canal done 16 days ago. It isn't complete; need to go back in two weeks. However, the dentist said he got most of it clean. His plan is to put a crown on the tooth as time passes. I was on a round of antibiotics for 10 days that I completed 2 days ago. However, I still have soarness in my jaw, near my ear. I do not have any clicking, but my jaw hurts to the point that I just took 600mg ibuprofen I can chew on that side, but don't really want to for fear of more pain. Laying down seems to make it worse. I can live with it, but feel like I should be pain free at this point. My dentist isn't saying much regarding this pain. It's not excruciating pain, but annoying soreness and a little pain near my ear.
Help!

Janet

Hi :welcome: to the forum.

It is normal for a treated tooth and the area around it to still feel a bit unsettled. It has just had extensive work done on it. I am not a dentist but I have over the last year or so had a rct'd tooth to deal with.

Your jaw may be sore if you grind or clench your teeth. I would contact your dentist if the pain gets really bad that pain meds won't calm down. It could also be that there is a bit of nerve still in the tooth, has your dentist taken an x ray to make sure that he has got all of the canals clear.

I am sure he will check when you go back for the second part of the treatment.

Let us know how you get on please and if worried contact your dentist. Hopefully a dentist will be along here soon to give you some advice

Back